My Thoughts On Tiktok And Yoyoing

He still makes incredible YouTube content daily.

Yeah same. I still watch his vlogs but Iā€™m starting to dislike them more and more. Especially after his latest one

1 Like

Since Iā€™m still relatively new to the world of yo-yos, Iā€™m enjoying some of his earlier YT content. Iā€™ve probably watched his binding video at least a dozen times! Some of the older stuff like that is pure gold for someone like me.

1 Like

Same here man. Watching all the yoyo YouTubers old stuff lol. Or Iā€™ll throw on some A-rt and One Drop trick videos. I donā€™t even use tik tok but I see their stuff posted on Instagram and itā€™s almost like they know itā€™s cringe esp Brandon and I would imagine itā€™s hard to keep coming up with new video ideas all the time but I question why he puts so much effort into the tik tok side with hes just a dancing monkey for them at this point lol

2 Likes

Which is why I unsubscribed (on Youtube) to a few of those people. Their Youtube channels turned into a bunch of silly tiktok junk. I feel sorry for those people. Theyā€™re making yoyoing seem pretty stupid while using yoyoing to monetize their content.

7 Likes

I have no idea what making that kind of content (DNA requests) ends up doing for him when it comes to actual money. Everyone has to pay the bills, so I get it if itā€™s a way to make ends meet. But Iā€™m still amazed that the scripts are basically all the same: ā€œDo the DNA with X? Oh, thatā€™s going to be tough! If I can do it, I think that deserves a like and a follow. Wow, I did it!ā€ I stopped following IG and TT accounts like that because theyā€™re all pretty much the same and I donā€™t even have enough interest in the DNA to learn how to do it myself :joy:

3 Likes

Uhā€¦ thanks for the explanation

2 Likes

Brandon explained the reasoning behind it in a video from a month or two ago. Short version: ā€œItā€™s what gets views.ā€

2 Likes

I saw that video and he pretty much says that itā€™s to get attention or bring new folks to yoyo but heā€™s milked it too the point where heā€™s divided his fan base and kinda gets pissed that the real yoyo community doesnā€™t like that type of content.

4 Likes

Exactly. When a few yoyoers post a particular trick to Tik Tok and it gets a lot of attention, thatā€™s called getting the message out to a new audience. When that same trick is posted over and over and over and over to what I would argue is essentially the same audience at that point, itā€™s called pandering and itā€™s no longer about expanding the yoyo community and bringing in new blood, itā€™s about collecting views and landing on the ā€œtop creatorsā€ lists.

9 Likes

Attention = Currency

1 Like

I like the potential of TikTok for promoting the hobby, but I donā€™t use it because of itā€™s history of privacy invasion and the fact that the CCP literally has access to itā€™s entire database on demand. I get why some politicians consider it a national security threat.

I donā€™t share my info with Mark Zuckerberg, Iā€™m sure not gonna go out of my way to contribute to the Communist big-data engine just for a little extra attention! LOL

So Iā€™m gonna sit this wave out and see what the next popular social media platform turns out to be.

Ivan

6 Likes

Like all social media there are good and bad aspects. I personally think TikTok and Facebook or whatever they renamed to are the worst ones. Itā€™s nice that people are finding new hobbies but people can become addicted and develop mental health issues do to the toxic nature of social media not to mention all the misinformation. There is even a cult side to TikTok that once I saw how many people feed into this stuff and take it as fact I just deleted the app.

2 Likes

Lol you see that chimp play pong with the neurolink. Could you imagine if one of those ever overheated. I wouldnā€™t mess with that. Iā€™ll practice the old fashion way lol

Dude. Do you like SUNN O))) or Boris? Some of my favorite music.

4 Likes

SUNN O)))'s Black One is some of the most eerie and dark stuff ive ever heard.

As for Boris, I love them. Flood, Amplifier Worship, Feedbacker, and Heavy Rocks are all basically masterworks. Ive seen them live and it was incredible.

2 Likes

Hate to rain on your parade but, as a gigging musician I can tell you that Rock/Metal are certainly not doing better (especially financially) today than in years past, its just become a smaller and more dedicated group of bands/fans.

1 Like

I love Black One. I saw Boris live in Minneapolis a couple years ago. Absolutely amazing. My favorite album by both of them is Altar from 2006. INCREDIBLE.

Not seen the neurolink chimp playing pong! I have seen the roach R/C kit and thought about trying one.

When you can just download a skill set, without having to love what it is you are doing, what will that actually look like?

Similar to what the movie Vivarium ask maybe? What would the human do if separated from the ā€˜realā€™ natural world. And of course triggers the Mitch Hedberg joke ā€˜with a stick and a leaf to simulate its natural environmentā€™. :rofl:

2 Likes

9 Likes