MoonageMin & Twitch's Trick-a-Week Challenge! (2020)

Thanks for the feedback and the votes guys! I really appreciate it!

And though there are no right or wrong answers to this poll…everyone of you who didn’t vote for green got it wrong and are getting F’s for this week’s challenge!

3 Likes

I win!

4 Likes

@NitroBobby916 A++!

3 Likes

I’ve gotta admit…this trick has been pretty difficult to get down for me. Anyone else struggle at all with this one?
I still struggle to whip the string into the gap…and then to do so properly. This is absolutely a trick I enjoy very much though and will continue to work on it just like I work on many of the previous tricks from this challenge.

I really like how it transitions super easily into a houdini mount so I can combo off of it.

Like into a Kamikaze

Or a Triple Tower (with the tower being so tall that it can’t be seen by the camera! haha :sweat_smile:)

4 Likes

Here’s a redo on the tower:

And I really like this little combo with Jack’s Slack into Mexican Duck Pond :smiley:

5 Likes

Trick-A-Week Week #16 Reverse Hook

Thanks again guys for the votes!
So continuing on a bit more with whips/slacks/hooks…this week’s trick is the Reverse Hook (or Reverse Hidemasa Hook, or Reverse Yo-Yo Trapeze Whip).

This one looks tough to me, but also very rewarding. It’s flashy looking and I really like it because it starts in a trapeze and can be a great flashy little element to add into combos.
I’m hoping to get this one down as I can imagine this being one of my goto elements that I throw into tricks where I can.

I’m not finding a whole lot of tutorials on this one…if anyone knows of some, mind sharing them?

Also, I don’t think it’s completely necessary…but it should be easier to learn if you learn the regular Hidemasa Hook first.

5 Likes

That’s a trick that I leart not much time ago, and it really changed my play. I’m happy that you choosed it for this challenge.
I’ve not seen all tutorials but make sure your string torsion is neutral when you start practice it. Then you will be able to land it in every conditions, but the first times it really helps to have no torsion.

1 Like

This one is CHALLENGING! Andre B. makes it look easy!
Bonus apparently i learned a laceration in the within my failures last night. But the hook is still no where to be found.
No stirng torsion! I feel like i check torsion all the time. It’s my best trick now😆

Edit … i just realized i wasn’t practicing a hook. The hook actually goes over both strings and the string hooks? But the laceration i actually insert my finger into the loop that’s formed? Is that right? I think my brain exploded.

edit 2… i think this needs to be practiced with a lighter yoyo… how high do you pop the yoyo? I guess as high as necessary…

4 Likes

A goodie! I’ll post a video and would be happy to help anyone with this hook :slight_smile:

1 Like

I haven’t started working on this reverse hook yet…but with the regular Hidemasa Hook…figuring out how high to pop the yo up was really important in getting consistent with it. Not sure if the same will apply with this reverse.

Also…I have a very strong feeling that this little element is going to kick my butt! lol

1 Like

Wow! I’m so proud of how much progress you’ve made. I bet you didn’t even imagine this sort of complicated stuff when you were starting out.

4 Likes

Hey thank you @MarkD, that really means a lot to me coming from you. :heart:

2 Likes

André makes every trick look ridiculously easy. There are few things as fun to watch as André just talking and throwing yoyo…there is a reason he IS the YoyoExpert!

Edit to add: Brent Stole has really messed up my regular hook. I decided to “warm up” for this week’s trick with some hooks…landed a dozen Brent Stoles in a row, 0 hooks. Smack my head…

5 Likes

Hey. Can I post something related to this week’s trick here?

2 Likes

Absolutely :smiley:

1 Like

For some reason, double reverse hook is like 900000 times more difficult than standard double hook. I finally started hitting it consistently last week!

8 Likes

holy ****! That was nuts!! haha

3 Likes

As always…amazing!

3 Likes

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

This Hook is tough! I did land one tonight (but not from a trapeze). It’s going to take me a while to get use to the movements on this one though.

Also, it seems way more difficult to do it off of a trapeze to me.

3 Likes