Mk1 Yoyos!

Variations on a theme.

Left: Diffraction v1
Top: Spyglass
Right: A Prototype
Bottom: Diffraction v3

This cup design came from the development of the original Mk1 Diffraction (left) in 2018. I was struggling with how to design a yoyo cup that stood out without being too busy - flat seemed boring, and a variety of nubs and bumps didn’t seem quite as fun as being able to have a neat fingerspin area. Yoyos are also something to touch - even if it’s just in your pocket, it’s neat if there’s a fun texture or shape in there. Regarding fingerspins, the “Diffraction Hub” is a sort of cross between a flat cup and a centering cup. There’s three tiers of where you can land your finger, ranging from mostly out-of-control spinning at the outer ring, down to something resembling a lock-in area in the middle, though the finger will actually orbit in small circles, rather than locking in. With the correct hand motions you can land anywhere and move your finger into the center. Sort of a mini-game within the toy.

I was originally going to use this cup design as a signature design element for future Mk1 yoyos. Mostly that hasn’t been the case, the only completely new production model to use it was the Mk1 Spyglass (top). There’s also a cool prototype with that hub (right), but the next version and eventual production model will have something new there, instead.

The third version of the Diffraction (bottom) has a slightly shallower fingerspin dimple, adjusted just so to allow the 8mm->10mm axle length increase. Fingerspins are slightly more difficult to keep in the center, since even very tiny adjustments in that area of the design can have big effects. It’s still very possible and of course, quite rewarding. If you don’t fingerspin, the higher durability of the longer axle will still be easy to appreciate.

I hope to make more yoyos with this hub design in the future.

16 Likes

Maybe a full metal fixie? Hmm?

5 Likes

With full metal starbursts, right?

9 Likes

So it’d be a full metal fixie that turns your normal throws into offstring throws? It’s a bold concept but I like it.

6 Likes

I’m no scientist I’m just the ideas guy! Also no idea how a full metal fixie actually works, or if it does. I just saw a Fidalgo for sale a few days ago and it’s been on my brain since.

4 Likes

Its still there, not many of its kind

4 Likes

Yep, it’s still for sale!

It’s incredibly smooth. It makes me wonder if it is still spinning it is so smooth.
Hoping someone who will truly appreciate it will buy it. I don’t have the skills for fixed axel. It is hardly used. Still has the original string on it.

3 Likes

The Diffraction v3 will be available October 30th here at YoyoExpert.

If you have a recent Mk1 release (other than collabs) you may have seen this blueprint pattern on the inside of the boxes. This is the technical drawing for the original Diffraction v1, first released in 2018. The pattern for the box was drawn much later, using the current Mk1 logo, specifically for the box print.

It’s a bit hard to see what’s going on once it’s all folded up, but it’s there!

This colorway has become the Mk1 company colors since then, appearing in all but one of our releases. I’m happy to keep making it, because it gets me two colors in one! And it looks neat!

The previous iteration, the Diffraction v2, was picked up by YoyoExpert in 2019, making this whole venture feel official. I’m really grateful for that, because it’s had a big impact in the number of people I’m able to get yoyos out to. I really like being able to support André in this way (though he’s supporting me even more, I suppose), and I love the forums here and the ability to have regular long-form discussion.

Anyhow, this is probably the yoyo to have if you want to understand my yoyo design goals from start to finish.

27 Likes

Two more fades!

Apricot (pink to gold)

Bluegreen

These two work especially well because the colors are close to each other while still being different hues. This helps make them actually look like a fade instead of a two-tone design.

19 Likes

Lychee Fade - pink and silver.

This was chosen at the last moment after a different coating failed to take properly at the factory. Yes, three different pink fades appeared!

Here’s the full set. We’re very happy with these!

Coming October 30th.

19 Likes

Can’t wait to pick one up on release day! Do you have a favorite colorway @MarkD?

1 Like

Thank you for bringing back the bape fade. Best colorway from the Spyglass development that didn’t get put into production.

3 Likes

Right now it’s apricot fade (pink/gold)!

I’m glad there are fans! Maybe Spyglass will still get it someday, too.

13 Likes

Had a chance to try one at Club, and was not disappointed!

6 Likes

Getting my whitebox photos out there before Yoyoexpert’s even better ones show up!
These highlight the shape and why I really like this yoyo - and why it was the first one I produced. The “ski jump” clearly separates the two sections of the yoyo, acting as an inflection point for both aesthetics and purpose.

The inside of the profile is “inverse round”, pulling away from a theoretical straight line in a curve, starting at the slight response bump and ending at the ski jump. This section does three things:

1. Keeps string contact with the yoyo body very low
  2. Allows for good finger grinds
  3. Acts as a counterpart for the shape of the cup

The outside of the profile rounds out to the edge, improving comfort and rim weight compared to a theoretical straight line from the ski jump to the rim edge. Because it’s steeper closer to the center, it still pretty readily pushes the string in the correct direction.

A fun exercise for the budding designer is to draw a similar shape, but with the inflection point moved. There’s lots to discover with this type of shape, from the subtle to the surprising.

15 Likes

He is not lying.

15 Likes

@EOS44 You are very talented! I would kill to be even a thousandth as smooth and capable with a yoyo as you are. :star_struck::scream::star_struck:

9 Likes

Waiting for your review. :grinning:

2 Likes

So i just order this new Diffraction. He has a lot of experience designing yoyos now and its the third version on an original design. It looks dialed in :ok_hand:

4 Likes

Mk1yoyos Dynames

Signature yoyo design of Max Choo

I am sharing this particular colorway and angle because it shows off the most distinctive feature of this yoyo, the sight lines, which are cut through the first layer of anodizing, and either raw aluminum (on some colorways) or re-anodized (as in this colorway). More info soon!

33 Likes