Memorial Day Weekend 2020 plans anyone?

When I got furloughed in March I figured I’d be back to work for one of the busiest weekends at the resort I’ve been at since 1987. That’s not gonna happen. Does anyone have any celebrations they are attending ( that are possible anyway)? Are you gonna BBQ in the backyard? What’s everyone doing? Last night my neighbors were testing their M80s.

5 Likes

Annually the wife and I are at a regional burn event (Burning Flipside). I’ve not missed one since 2006, this would be my 15th. It is a place dear to my heart, and although fun has been cancelled indefinitely, the two of us will still be celebrating our burn this weekend. Even if that means building a mini effigy in my fire pit.:sunglasses:

:fire: :fire: :fire:

6 Likes

To me Memorial Day isn’t just the start of summer, the beaches open, mega car sales etc. I’ve been going to the memorial services at the Minnesota Vietnam Veterans Memorial since it was dedicated in 1992. Probably won’t happen this year. No plans at the moment. :disappointed:

5 Likes

There are a lot of war memorials around the area and a lot of vets visit them this weekend. This is the first Memorial Day weekend I don’t have to work since 1980-something and since I walk around town every day I will go to them and see who’s there. I am positive there’ll be ceremonies. In our courthouse square there’s a big statue of a Dough Boy.

4 Likes

Memorial day would have been likely spent working at the park, and bbq when I get home. Memorial day instead will be at home altogether with likely a bbq with the family, combined with celebrating my dad’s birthday as it happens that weekend, possibly finish the evening with some board games as we’ve been dusting them off a lot since this all began.

3 Likes

Each Memorial Day I try to help somebody get something done.

And While in the process, I think of All the men and women that didn’t make it because they were getting something done at a much higher level of importance.

I ponder in my mind about no matter how important ‘Life’ is to each person. That at the most Critical moments; our hero’s gave up their lives unselfishly. So that we would be around to carry on.

To me, it’s not just an Honor to have known a few of them. It it’s an Honor just to know they all did something we can never pay back.

But we can remember them, never forget their sacrifice and treat others in a way that when our Hero’s look down on us. They will at least feel like they didn’t die for nothing.

We can never outdo those that paid the Ultimate price. But we can all spend the day being Proud of our departed.

People that live on in our minds are never forgotten.

5 Likes

Whats the next yoyo to buy lmao

I am hoping to take a drive at some point during the weekend. Nowhere far. Maybe a couple hours out, and a couple hours back. The family has not been able to escape the house for some time, of course, so maybe heading North from Tucson to find somewhere cooler to sit and eat a sandwich would be nice.

4 Likes

I’m in a music group that always performs at one of the local military cemeteries every year. This will be the first year in last 15 that I’m not doing that. Instead my wife and I are planning on neglecting our chores, sending our daughter to Grandma and Gramdpa’s place, and gaming the whole time :grin:

4 Likes

Yessss, that’s our plan, too! We splurged on all the Descent expansions.

5 Likes