Magic drop, I want to give up Yoyoing?

lol been throwing almost 2 years, am pretty decent imo, and can’t do magic drop, really it’s not like a crucial trick, haven’t needed to learn it for anything i’ve wanted to do, don’t let it get you down too much.

Magic Drop is easy as pie…

What’s harder than your typical Magic Drop, is doing the version in Candy Rain… where instead of landing on the string you make the yoyo continue around your non-throwhand.

The “element” in both is fairly easy, but to do the candy rain one is a tad bit harder IMO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vf9Mxamqjtg

How I got my Magic Drops consistent, is by instead of swinging the yoyo around and trying to get the rejection, jump it up onto that back string. Trust me. Its much easier.

For me, Magic Drop took a couple weeks to get down (mixed in with other tricks). I’ve noticed that I can hit it much more consistently with a new string. Also, I think some yoyos are better for this trick. For me it was the Burnside. Now, I can do it well on all my yoyos, but the Burnside was definitely the best to learn it on.

Honestly, I don’t think I could’ve done it without that MonkeyFinger (thanks MrYoyoM!) tutorial. I watched about 5 other tutorials, but that one helped the most with that tip on using your NTH ring finger to split the strings.

All the info anyone would need to do Magic Drop is here. Three points to consider.

1. It’s not really a string rejection.
  2. Swing the yoyo not the hold.
  3. MonkeyFinger videos really help people.

As I mentioned earlier, followed some of the tips in this very thread, and along with the MFD video… probably got it on the 3rd try? I actually find it kind of hard to miss it. :wink:

@hiltonking: Agreed in general, but I don’t see how there’s not a string rejection going on. There’s a string in the gap, pressure on that string segment outward from the yoyo makes it snap out from the bottom… sounds like a rejection to me! If it didn’t reject, it wouldn’t work.

I can land Magic Drop every time and the beginning of Candy Rain really frustrated me. Keeping the string taut at your Throwhand is key. Good luck everyone who is trying to learn Magic Drop:)

The string isn’t pushed away from the yoyo – the yoyo moves away from the string. I’m sort of splitting hairs, but that’s my reasoning.

Magic Drop isn’t used that often in tricks. I can “do it” when I need to, but I super cheat. I use an extra thumb and finger here and there to make sure I hit the right striings. I don’t think of it as cheating really, I think of it as innovation. lol. :wink:

As a matter of fact, “cheating” to do it eventually helped me to get it the “right” way. It’s not as consistent and I use my “cheating” method simply out of habit anyway, but really—Just do what you need to do to land it. If you still find that it’s too difficult to land, just move on and learn something else. There are hundreds if not thousands of tricks you can do without learning magic drop. Eventually, when you go on to learn more complex tricks, you can probably come back to it and say “Hey, this isn’t that difficult.” Good luck! ;D