Let’s talk 3D printing

Very cool. That’s not a bad machine either.

2 Likes

Nice! Is this your first printer?

3 Likes

Speaking of first 3d printers…
I’ve always been a little interested…
And too lazy to do any research…
What would be a good one? For a good price? What’s some important stuff I should know if I’m shopping?

3 Likes

if your in the us, have a mico center nearby and willing to tinker wait until an ender3 v2 se or neo (heck at some point the v3) goes on sail for about 100 bucks. its a decent base printer that can be upgraded or just a low entry cost to see if its worth messing with.

then you can go bamboo lab or whatever if you feel its worth it. Even the expensive printers need maintenance and work at some point and if thats not for you you don’t want to dump several hundred in just to sell it as a deep discount at some point.

My approach isn’t for everyone some folks jump head first all in and thats cool too but in my experience start small and get an idea for what you have to understand to do it big before going big.

3 Likes

I have used them before at work (we had a makerspace at my last job) but it is the first one that I have personally owned.

2 Likes

CR-6 should be a good machine for you. Happy printing!

3 Likes

Thanks! I’m aiming to do a small print tonight or tomorrow maybe. I was going to try to print a knot pick STL I got from @Captrogers, but it’s currently modeled to print multiple and I want to drop it down to one.

3 Likes

Ahh you should be able to delete the multiples in your slicer of choice. I didn’t think to make an STL with just one

First print!

Maybe a second tomorrow?

7 Likes

Sovol SV 06 is probably the best value available right now. All metal hotend, direct drive, Klipper compatible all for like 180$.

Otherwise save up and get a Bambu. They are on a whole other level.

3 Likes

Second print. One half of the aroundsquare open source knucklebone.

4 Likes

Ahh is the idea to print two halves and epoxy together then sand them down?

1 Like

Yes. And drop some weights in too.

I think instead of epoxy I may try to hand weld with this:

5 Likes

ahh ive been meaning to get a 3d pen. its been on my list of when i have time to mess around more list.

1 Like

I am very lucky. This one was a freebie from a neighbor years back when my kids were way too young for it. I never got rid of it in case one day I got into 3d printing…

3 Likes

Well my 3Doodler didn’t work. I think my material is the wrong size and it doesn’t support multiple temperatures. So I whipped out my Pinecil and ran it over the seam. Doesn’t look great yet but it’s one piece ; it even survived dropping so far.

5 Likes

Well I think the sequel counts as a failed print. I tried to to this one in one piece with supports. It’s a tiny bit larger.

3 Likes

Since it has no strong angles you better print it standing upward if you want to use supports.

3 Likes

I had not thought of that…

I’m already printing halves again to plastic weld together :grin:

2 Likes

my only worry with printing upright is your strength is mostly on the horizontal so you wont get the strength you would get from printing it on its side which might be okay for this but idk. I feel like a brim or raft would help more along with organic tree supports but maybe im off on that thought.

2 Likes