Late 90s Time capsule

I bought this 24-yoyo lot from ebay a few months ago. It was relisted several times until one of my offers was accepted. I believe it was relisted four or five times, which seemed strange to me considering how much it drips with nostalgia.

As far as I can tell, these are all originals and likely manufactured in the 90s-early 2000s. If anyone has any info about this collection, I’d like to know! It’s as if all of these yoyos were bought the same day, stored in the Yomega case, and then never touched again. Everything is flawless. Also, any thoughts on why this was listed for so long? Did I miss something?

15 Likes

Everything in second hand markets is taking a bit to sell its the time of year and uncertainty and just lack of interest.

3 Likes

What was the list price?

1 Like

I spent hours in study hall looking through infinite illusion catalogues, staring down many of these yoyos, knowing that buying multiples was not an option.

To see a case full, is still unreal

4 Likes

Ohh also that’s a sick case of yo. I’m mildly jealous of how cool That collection is

1 Like

$450 was the original, I believe. It dropped a little every time it was relisted.

1 Like

Same here! The kid in me freaked out when I saw this.

1 Like

Wow, that takes me back. That’s a wonderfully curated 90’s collection and seems to have many of the classic greats. You don’t see the Came-yo Mondial very often and I quite like how it plays. The click adjust gap is a fantastic innovation.

As to why it had remained unsold - without knowing the asking price perhaps many players who weren’t around the scene in the late 90’s simply wouldn’t be familiar with them and their place in to history. It’s certainly a nostalgia trip which limits number of potential purchasers.

Those of us who do remember them either still have these in our collections or wouldn’t be willing to pay high prices because we remember what they cost in the first place!

2 Likes

Condition on these looks incredible! Enjoy.

2 Likes

The Mondial is one of maybe two throws in this collection that show some signs of usage, although not much. It still feels great and the gap system still works. The Piranha and AXLerator surprised me the most. They feel amazing in the hand. I’m tempted to EDC them, but I want to keep this collection together and maintain their near-mint condition.

It was listed in April-May for around $450. Definitely intimidating, but the price dropped every time it was relisted. It finally reached a point where I felt I had to make a move, so I made an offer, then we met in the middle. I have yet to see a collection like this show up again.

I think I got a decent deal. The bag alone has sold for about 1/3 what I paid. Same with the Mondial. However, I don’t plan on selling anything from this collection.

1 Like

Thanks, I may take some better photos of the rarer, more aesthetic pieces. The Dobles for example look amazing. They were $60 fixed axles in 2001, which is wild to me.

2 Likes

I think you got a good deal there. I remember the Doblés, they were beautiful but so very, very heavy!

Doc Pop does a nice film about them, worth watching if you haven’t seen it.

It’d be a shame not to use them but I appreciate the concerns. I’ve busted out some late 90’s /early 2000’s yoyos to play modern responsive and seeing what some of them go for these days has really made me pause and practice over carpet without a belt buckle on!

I admit, I am just a leeetle bit jealous.

Congratulations.

2 Likes

I’ll check out the Doc Pop video now! The Doblés are very interesting pieces. I wasn’t familiar with them back in the day, so they were basically new throws for me to explore.

I do put them to use, carefully and over carpet. The Piranha is begging to be EDC’ed, but I can’t.

I just watched that video, which was great! I think @DocPop might be leeetle bit jealous too. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Oh my gosh, what a score!!!

For anyone curious about the Doblé yo-yos, I made a video about them here

7 Likes

I enjoyed that video a lot, then realized im not subbed to your channel! Looking forward to watching more.

2 Likes

Rad, if you have a tk no-jive you have a pretty defiinitive early midschool collection.

1 Like

I do have a No Jive, Sleep Machine, and Roller Woody! Still looking for an RD1 or 2.

2 Likes