It's time we talk about šŸ”Ŗ šŸ¹

I just posted a brand new episode of the PopCast Yo-Yo Vlog thatā€™s all about ā€œSkin The Gerbilā€. I talk about the trickā€™s history, share some tips, and try to dive into the idea of alpha style flow when combining trick elements.

Iā€™ve been wanting to do this particular video for a while now. With the support of my Patreon sponsors, I was able to work with a Noel Von Joo (camera and lighting) and Clifton B (editing). I love how this turned out.

21 Likes

this was an awesome popcast @DocPop!! loved learning a little bit more about the name too, thats really cool that the name stuck even after evolving into a staple yoyo trick.

3 Likes

I remember the term ā€œalphaā€ from the sector Y days. Glad you still use it, yo-yo specific. I donā€™t think is gets much usuage, but maybe it will come back.

4 Likes

The history of the name is interesting. Having learned to yoyo before the 90ā€™s boom, I had seen several books that included ā€œSkin the Catā€. I didnā€™t hear it called ā€œTidal Waveā€ until I got back into the hobby in 2016. So ā€œSkin the Gerbilā€ didnā€™t seem that strange to me, it was just another step in the abstractification of yoyo trick names. Most ā€œtraditionalā€ tricks were named based on how their form resembled something in the world, but it seems like as the tricks got more complicated and abstract, the names became more and more detached from the form.

6 Likes

I didnt know you made that trick :exploding_head::exploding_head:

2 Likes

Great video @DocPop, as always. I think it is time for me to learn this. But yes, I think I will just call it Gerbil. The original name makes me cringe. Lol

I remember a while ago this came up and my wife said ā€œwhy would he call it that? Thatā€™s terrible!ā€ and I was like ā€œugggghhhh, I donā€™t knowā€. So now I know! Haha

2 Likes

Iā€™ll admit that there was a time I would have fought against people calling it ā€œGerbilā€. I realize I was dumb then and Iā€™m totally okay with whatever people want to call it now. I still call it Skin The Gerbil out of habit, but Iā€™m trying to change.

5 Likes

Gotta repost the song too :musical_note:skin the gerbil
With the special effects, damn!

2 Likes

(This user has been censored by forum moderators)

5 Likes

7 Likes

Hereā€™s a page from Helane Zeigerā€™s ā€œWorld On A Stringā€

8 Likes

This was sick. @DocPop is the flowmaster.

The Matrix (as mentioned in the vid) was the first trick I really aspired to do and I didnā€™t realize (or forgot) who made it.

And of course the Gerbil is a hands down classic.

4 Likes

You should be able to download it here Stream the Skin The Gerbil theme song by Doctor Popular | Listen online for free on SoundCloud

1 Like

Skin the Cat referred to a Gymnastics trick that was popular for every kid who ever had the privilege of playing on a playground with monkey bars. You could do it 2 ways, hence the saying ā€œthereā€™s more than one way to skin a catā€. The yoyo trick evoked the motion of the Gymnastics trick.

I find it amusing that such a thing would elicit any negativity, but am very happy that it spawned a great trick. Thanks.

Great video. Probably my favorite all time trick! One of the reasons I got a yoyo was to learn it and the name was the best ever.

Reminds me of the old classic Joe Cartoon, Gerbil in a Microwave. Being a flash designer and programmer since 1999 itā€™s crazy its obsolete now. :older_man:t2: No need for low bandwidth vector graphics these days.

Adding the little pops after the miss and double on is fun! Thanks!

2 Likes