IS Yoyos: The Confection (Spectraply Unresponsive Yoyo)

Hello!

My name is Johny and I have recently started making and selling yoyos under my brand: IS_yoyos! I’d like to introduce you to my own creation: The Confection.

The Confection is an unresponsive yoyo made of spectraply wood, fitted with One Drop internals. The specs are below:

Diameter: 59mm
Width: 45mm
Weight: 64 grams
Bearing: One Drop 10 ball
Response: One Drop Flow Groove

High wall with “schmoove groove”

Price: $50 for single spectra ply color, $55 for half-half swaps

I will be making another run of these yoyos, and I would love to hear your thoughts! You can check out my instagram: https://www.instagram.com/is_yoyos/ for more info. Thanks!

23 Likes

It’s been a long time since a bought a wooden yoyo, but I’m seriously considering one of these. Really well done!

1 Like

I’ve got one of these and it’s SUPER cool looking. Like one of my favorite display pieces. In terms of play, it’s unresponsive and definitely plays like a high-walled yoyo. The more accurate you are as a player, the better result you’ll get from this yoyo. If you’re looking for a competition throw, this isn’t it. That said, this is a great-looking, conversation starter that is totally capable of unresponsive play. The only negative I have to say is that mine has a lot of vibe. I know wood can have a non-uniform density, so I’m not blaming anyone, but it’s just something to note.

3 Likes

Thanks!

I’m glad you like yours! It seems that adding more rim weight made the vibe more noticeable, but I decided to make that trade-off to give these better spin times. Thanks for the feedback!

2 Likes

Are they handturned?

3 Likes

Yep! I turn them on my small wood lathe.

4 Likes

Good work!

I have no idea how you can offer them so cheaply though. Are you in the US?

4 Likes

I’m in the U.S.

I keep the price that low as One Drop sells me the internals at a very reasonable price. I also don’t use an online store service, such as etsy, as these storefronts have high fees for sellers; this lets me lower the cost of the yoyos.

I could charge more, but I’m happy getting enough money to fund my woodworking hobby and give me some pocket change!

11 Likes

Nice!

My spectra models cost a fair bit more due to the enormous cost of shipping it here from the U.S. I’m in Australia.

3 Likes

I also charge the shipping separately, it’s 5 dollars for U.S. shipping.

It does cost a lot to ship overseas!

2 Likes

Yeah, getting the SpectraPly shipped to me especially. I think shipping for a couple of boards cost over $250 USD if I remember correctly. That’s just the shipping cost not including the price of the boards.

2 Likes

Could we have a straight up profile shot?

2 Likes

Yeah!

15 Likes

Ooh those look really nice!

5 Likes

I haven’t really ever been tempted by a wooden yoyo with a bearing but I’ve got to say these look great! I love the shape and the colours work well together.

2 Likes