Is this a ding on my panorama? :(

Got my panorama today from those batches that were sent to different stores. After a closer look found this.

Flickr link with a few more photos and vids

3 Likes

It’s subtle but definitely a ding

2 Likes

Yup. A very small one, but it looks like a ding.

2 Likes

If i zoom in then yeah they’re a slight abrasion that doesn’t break ano. I’d say you lucked out. Try banging your brand new MFD off the ceiling accidentally. It’s a double whammy a hit to the yoyo which left a mark, not too bad but, Another hit to my pride. Kinda embarrassing. How in the world it hit the ceiling is still beyond me :man_shrugging:

6 Likes

Hm looks like something, but could honestly be something that happened pre ano, stuff like that can happen in machining - if it plays fine you were probably better off before you noticed it :joy:

7 Likes

This is exactly how it went lol. I made a few throws and was happy about everything look/feel/etc…
Then … -_-

I’m not buying anything from the “reseller” stores anymore, for sure. Unless there’re other options.

Should I just take it as it is and move on or bug the store about a partial refund? Sending it back would take ages

1 Like

Hey if you can get a refund and it’s really bugging you then why not, as long as you feel like it was the stores fault

But def a dope throw either way I have the purple Martin colorway to and it’s a great job by OD

2 Likes

The world is hard and dings happen. It’s a great yoyo and looks rad. I wouldn’t worry about it.

16 Likes

Honestly I had a brand new Wish that had a “ding” in the metal but it didn’t break the anno, I am thinking it’s probably a flaw in the metal that just didn’t get caught and once anodized it covered it up. Because it looks identical to what you just pointed out on your YoYo.

Good news is, if you are like me - won’t be the last ding :slight_smile: just throw it and forget it.

3 Likes

You shouldn’t feel bad about reaching out to the retailer. These things happen and they understand that. I always think about the possibility of reselling or trading. Am I going to have to list this as damage or wear?

If it’s a yoyo that you’re going to keep and cherish forever, then in that case I would personally let it slide.

4 Likes

If it plays great, consider it a “balancing ding”. :smiley:

Ivan

4 Likes

Also bought one of my Panoramas from a different store overseas and had a similar thing

2 Likes

It’s the worst when you have a dinged yoyo. It’s the very worst when it isn’t your fault. If it plays fine and you don’t plan on selling then I think you should just keep it.

2 Likes

This ding looks like it’s under the ano, which would suggest a manufacturing defect, not a problem with the store. Either way, I imagine this has 0 impact on play but the manufacturer or store would probably find some way to make you happy if you were really dissatisfied

2 Likes

OD ano is pretty good with the pyramate finish. I have knocked a few flat spots into them that don’t break ano. Its possible it wasn’t from manufacturing. But I have heard of other examples of those special panorama colorways having “b grade quality” ano issues and what not

4 Likes

What did you eventually end up doing? (is that the store which name starts with the “L” by any means?)

btw I messaged the store and OD(with the question about qc) and got not reply so far.

edit: OD said it happened before anodizing
edit: the store replied too

1 Like

Yeah, I put a ding in a yoyo without breaking ano too. Looks just like the OPs ding.

1 Like

So, in other words, you didn’t even but it from YYE. You bought it from another store and after you got off the microscope and saw the worlds smallest imperfection which is gonna be probably a 10th of the size of the first thing you put in it once you’re happy you get a perfect one. You just came here to cry. You’re wasting more time worrying about something that looks about as small as a pimple on an elephants rear end. If the store deliberately try to sneak one in on you that’s one thing. But no stores or manufacturers are using An electron microscope to QC every single half of a yo-yo, something slipped through like that.
… The panorama is a Great yoyo. I’m surprised they actually don’t charge another 20 or 30 bucks for it. It’s an excellent player had a great price point.
That tiny imperfection is seriously a little consequence. It has nothing to do with the spin time he doesn’t have anything to do with the performance potential of the yo-yo. And you can’t even see it unless you look for it. And if you’re going to keep it and play it no matter how careful you are trust me it’s going to hit the deck. I hope I’m wrong I hope your throat 88 hours a day every day of the year for 20 years and never had anything with a pillow. Obviously that’s highly unlikely. If you bought it to play it play it. If you bought it to look at it and then resell it just note the small mark that you had nothing to do with and sell it for what you got it for. In the realm of probability somebody not as particular as you will probably be happy to buy it from you.
Personally, I think you’re overclocking your CPU over the smallest imperfection I can remember seeing. And I’ve seen some imperfections. I only started messing with yo-yos and customizing yoyos about 24 years ago. But starting a little over 50 years ago I spent well over 20 years painting exotic cars and motorcycles speed boats horse trailers sand rails dune buggies JetSki‘s, surfboards mobile homes. I did my own QC an exotic car finishes for way over 20 years. I seen just about every paint defect and every surface defect that you could imagine if you had 1000 years to think about it.
Just sit down for a minute and think about 50 different things that are important and view all these things on a scale of importance. Put them in an order of importance. Identify the critically important aspects of each situation that you’re mainly confronting as you dissect the various things on your list.
…. Now get your magnifying glass and look at that tiny speck under the Ano on the Yoyo. How much grief do you actually want to generate for yourself for something is minuscule and inconsequential is that?

7 Likes

This could hold true for so much more in life…

3 Likes

Your reaction to his post sure is long and overly dramatic for something so “miniscule” - I’m pretty sure you exhausted more energy on your response than OP even did thinking about the issue.

Was typing all that out high on YOUR scale of importance? Going off on random internet strangers for nicely bringing up a QC issue on something they bought with their hard earned money is weird and not cool man.

5 Likes