Is the YoyoJam Patent dead?

Expected more when people are starting to talk like ‘lol look at muh draupnir fk yea its a BIMETAL umad its muh first one, oh i mean except my phenom and next level’

Siriusly tho, I have always wondered what the reaction was like when YYF first released the protostar. Was there also a mass derping about dem inner weight rings? Or was there not because everyone knew hspin and some others had already done it?

No real commotion there, since Buzzon already produced yoyos with a inner weight ring.

From my wcyyc experiences, the space cowboy is bi- metal. However I don’t think yyj has a patent on bi-metal yoyos

It is NOT that simple. YYJ has a patent on designs where a yoyo has a material denser than the body on the rim of the yoyo. This is the case of the Space Cowboy. I’m very curious as to what kind of loop hole YYF used…

If you’ve seen the pics, notice that sort of sharp/obvious transition from the SS to the aluminum? Imagine it’s as simple as that? That it’s not a seemingly continuous piece?

Just totally speculating…

Or it could be that SS is just slightly lower than the AL, which sort of means that isn’t on the rims perhaps.

:smiley:

Until someone from YYJ or YYF comes on to definitively discuss this…

2 Likes

These were my thoughts on this.

I think it is high time that someone with actual information on what is going on behind the scenes, puts some clarity into this situation.

I am dubious of a “loophole”; but I am tired of endless speculation too. It is becoming obvious that much of this patent has been about interpretation. Could someone who has first-hand knowledge of this please enlighten us about what makes this yo-yo not in violation of the YoyoJam patent?

If YoyoJam has a Patent on multiple material yo-yo’s; can someone officially confirm this? Deny this? Can someone from YoyoJam explain why this ambiguity has been allowed to persist in the yo-yo community for so long?

A strong patent is the one specific enough that is unlikely that someone else will come with almost the exact same idea, in example OD Side effects. YYJ In another hand, due to yoyo physics, it was just a matter of time (and not so long time) when more than one person will come with the idea of denser materials on the rims.

In my opinion, YYF knows that YYJ can´t possibly win if they claim, and if they do and lose, they will settle a precedent that will unleash all other manufacturers. for YYJ the best bet is to leave it like that and hope not too many makers start doing it.

Their claim is too broad, it is legally unsustainable, too many loopholes, because it covers all possible materials even the ones they weren´t able to design at the time of the patent. This article enlightens the point about broad patents: http://ocpatentlawyer.com/broad-claims-pose-enablement-issues/