Is another boom feasible?

Yo-yoing has come a long way in the past decade. As some of you may know, the hobby of yo-yoing underwent a large boom in the late 90’s, specifically 1998-2000, give or take a year.

I was not around at this time. The leading cause, from what I have heard and read about, was extensive marketing, and the utilization of the bearing. Keep in mind, at this time, the internet was not as easily accessible as it is today.

With the help of Hans, or YoHans (current owner of YYF), Donald Duncan Jr., and eventually World Team Proyo, yo-yoing spread to many continents. Hans performed in over 20 countries if memory serves me right. He appeared on TV, in music videos, and venues across the globe, promoting the hobby he so wholly enjoyed. He promoted the simple toy as so much more, something amazing. The yo-yo he promoted, the turbo bumble bee, was affordable, and mass produced, therefore easy to come by.

The boom was also aided by Bandai and Yomega, whom promoted yo-yos heavily, through different media. Performances still brought this toy to kids and adults around the country. This may be false, so correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe Doc Pop and Ed had blogs that were fairly popular soon after the boom.

In the 90’s, the popular yo-yos coming from the companies like Proyo and Team Losi were cheap, sub-$20 yo-yos, but they got it done. Of course there were high end yo-yos that performed better, that not everybody had, such as the $150 Cold Fusion and its GT (butterfly shaped) counterpart, alongside the $200 Samurai. Later on, in the mid-2000s, there were affordable yo-yos again, such as the Freehand, but higher end like Oxys. Here we are in 2015, with a TON of high ends, I don’t think anyone would argue that. However, our cheaper yo-yos are just as good. A $16 yo-yo won Nationals. The same $16 yo-yo is mass produced, and the question I ask is, why isn’t there one in everybody’s hand?

Reality is, is 1998, you were limited by what you had. A turbo bumble bee or cherry bomb was not allowing you to do the same tricks as the cold fusion gt. I know it’s the player, and not the throw, however there was a noticeable difference between the lower and higher end models. Since these throws were still responsive for the most part, the butterfly shape of the CFGT was huge for the advancement of string tricks.

Fast forward to 2004-2005, with the emergence of the Freehand. This is the first time an affordable yo-yo can do most of the advanced string tricks that a higher end model is capable of. Oxy’s, Anti-Yo, and ILYY, among others, are luxuries, instead of what’s needed to be successful. However, there’s still room for improvement in the lower end industry. This time period saw the birth and refinement of mods such as the silicon recess.

Here we are in 2015. Our affordable yo-yos play well enough to win nationals. It is simply not necessary to own multiple $200 throws when you can have a Replay Pro for $16. Everything above that throw is a luxury, which of course most of us opt for. This is the prime time for a boom, when price no longer hampers playability.

The thought of a potential boom brings up an important question, is a boom really what we need?

This is what I would like to hear everyone’s opinions on. A boom generally results in a subsequent bust at some point in the future. Is the community stable enough to support a boom or bust? The yo-yo industry seems pretty healthy to me. There are a ton of manufacturers, and every new model is better than the last. However, there still aren’t that many people interested in the hobby. Every new release more or less is bought by people on this forum, and that isn’t doing anything to bring more people into the hobby.

If marketing really is the key to a boom in yo-yos, I personally believe it would be best performed by the largest and most influential company, Yoyofactory. Hans was the driving force behind the last boom, let’s let history repeat itself. Hans doesn’t seem to lurk here, but I know Ben does.

That being said, if you see this Ben, let it be food for thought. I’d love to hear your outlook on this topic. You and Hans run the most successful company today, despite what anybody says. You have a model that plays well and is less than $20. You have a player who’s won nationals and worlds, and has his name on the aforementioned sub-$20 yoyo. Take advantage of it.

Of course CLYW has a similar player, but doesn’t yet have the line of affordable yo-yos for those just getting into the hobby.

Opinions, comments, and corrections are welcome. I’d love to hear from those who’ve stuck around from the last boom.

1 Like

i want there to be a LOT more people into yoyoing.

people often see it as nerdy and stupid, but thats because they see something they are not educated about and cower in fear. (as with anything else) but if yoyoing got as popular as even kendama, people would quickly share the love with aid from the internet, and eventually, there could be a new boom that might stick around for a while! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

also, its lonely in a town with only 3 other yoyoers within a ~10 mile radius… :stuck_out_tongue:

I think it is happening in Indonesia with the Blazing Teens anime airing up, I’d guess kids will start showing up in local forums and gatherings. I’m not a fan of Auldey though, even though I’ve heard good things about their latest line up I still can’t get the low quality bootleg image away.
A yoyo boom is good for business, but for I hate the fact that a yoyo boom is not actually where more passionate people are really into yoyoing, but they are into it simply because it’s the “current thing”, once it goes most people will disappear along with it.

1 Like

I think the yoyo boom could mainly be attributed to the multiple big performing groups such as THP, duncan, and the playmaxx demonstrators. If you look around today, there are still some smaller teams going around and doing performances, but it is not nearly as widespread as it was during the 90s boom.

I’d love a boom. I don’t really see such a thing ever being bad, unless the companies fail afterwards do too mismanagement.

Yoyo is one of few toys that is resistant to the onslaught of technology that is gobbling up the toy industry. Kids do not want to play with action figures anymore , as the second they see an Ipad… why go back? Even babies play with Ipads.
However… toys like the Yoyo, Juggling, Astrojax, Poi, ect.
All do something that electronics can never quite do. Be real, almost Magical toys that furthermore require 0 power. They never die. The issue is that such toys need to prove to people that they are more fun then a book, better than Call of Duty, and as portable as Angry Birds.

To do that, it will take advertising, and new better cheaper throws. Thats not going to easy, but the Replay Pro is a good start. Even though the Replay is solid, it needs some improvements. The perfect beginners Yoyo kit would be a Hub stacked Replay to me. It would contain a responsive and unresponsive bearing. And be no more than 20$

The reasoning behind hubstacks is that people have not seen them before. It is a new trick for an old dog.

You should put Ben’s name in the title so its “Is another boom feasible? YYFBEN!”

It might sound blasphemous, but my one goal in life or in this hobby isn’t to attract new players. While I’d like yoyoing to be accessible to anyone, I know it’s not going to right for everyone. And I don’t think a country-wide boom is on the horizon for anything low-tech. If it’s not an app and it doesn’t have a touchscreen, most people don’t want anything to do it. Real hobbies which have a tangible physical aspect and can hone skills have gone by the wayside.

While I wouldn’t detest a boom, and in fact I would like to see more people enjoying a hobby which has provided me so much enjoyment, there can be downsides as well, including more counterfeits as well as companies entering the market to provide less than stellar products in search of quick bucks. As it stands now, you don’t start a yoyo company to get rich, or at least, it would be a very bad way of trying to do so. People tend to start them to somehow carve out a living doing what they love.

I wouldn’t mind it being bigger and more popular, but I think yoyoing is in a pretty good place. There’s a wealth of companies routinely releasing new products, a large and somewhat healthy (when it comes to 1a at least) competition circuit, and a strong community of pretty good people who love the hobby.

2 Likes

I agree with Old Yoer. While I wouldn’t mind a boom. I think it’s pretty okay as it is.

Read this if anyone is interested:

It’s about how yoyoing is growing slowly and getting more respected. I agree with a lot of things in this article, such as how yoyoing should not grow as a result of a boom but as a slow and steady growth, so that it is appreciated for what it really is and not because of a short fad then fading away time and time again.

I’d rather see a steady growth than a boom/fad. Fads fade away as the article said. Keeping a slow but steady growth is what will keep the community continuously buzzing. I’d rather see yoyoing continue being a hobby, and not a fad that’s bound to die.

Seemed like with the 1990s boom, it went from 1 day that everyone was yoyoing to the next day that they were all playing Pokemon instead while the yoyo quickly fazed out.

1 Like

I definitely agree with Angry Gumball. I wouldn’t want yoyoing to become just a phase that everyone goes through. Instead, I wan’t it to be a thing that where people that are actually passionate about yoyoing get into the hobby instead of people just joining in on the latest trend.

I feel that yoyoing in its current state is in a boom. Perhaps not the same level as the megaboom of the late 90’s, but the fact I can go into toy stores and see some “modern” yoyos makes me feel that there is definitely some new hype going around.
As for if I would like to see that sort of boom happen again, I feel in a sense yes, it would be great to see more people getting into it, but at the same time, I kind of like being the unique person around town who throws a yoyo :wink:

I feel if there was a boom now it would not be as big as previous ones because, well just look around at what people are doing more nowadays (hint hint “Phones”). Now I am not saying everyone is like that though.

Bandai & Yomega created that boom pretty much all on their own. Yomega hired High Performance Kites in Hawaii to manage a nationwide grassroots marketing campaign, then Bandai saw the success of it and brought Yomega & HPK (operating the “Team High Performance” yoyo team, known as THP) to Japan and the rest of the world. When this started to take off, Playmaxx took full advantage of the lack of brand recognition for any companies outside of the US and pivoted themselves into the “global” face of yoyoing.

The SuperYo Renegade is the yoyo that pretty much single-handedly (pun intended) brought about modern 1A play. The Freehand wasn’t popular until it was nearly gone…I remember personally buying up cases of Freehand 1s on clearance at Ohio grocery stores.

Team Losi wasn’t popular. It was barely a blip on the radar. Yomega ruled the market, Duncan was selling Imperials and Butterflys and patting themselves on the back for being the best in the world, ProYo was the only company pushing the design & technology side of things and no one else mattered until 1999 when YoYoJam dropped the Spinfaktor.

Again, the Freehand only mattered after the fact. It was a commercial failure. The Renegade was the yoyo of choice until I marketed everyone in to switching over to the Freehand. It was pretty much my force of will that gave that yoyo any sales…but all measurements that mattered at the time, the Renegade was significantly better in every way except response.

Absolutely not.

The people on this forum represent maybe 1% of the current yoyo market. I hate to burst your bubble, but what you see and read here is not really representative of the buyer base.

You’re assuming they haven’t. False assumption.

Most of your information about the last boom seems colored by nostalgia. The last boom was 90% Yomega, and what followed didn’t show up until the rest of the world was turning out the lights and locking up after the boom died. Sales flatlined in 1999. The World YoYo Contest that year was held in Hawaii in a mostly empty warehouse, and most of the High Performance Kites staff was laid off that same week. When I started working for Duncan in 2000, sales were lower than they had ever been. The Freehand was run off a single cavity aluminum prototype tool because there was no money for a real production mold and Duncan insisted on running them in the United States. Playmaxx went down. Team Losi only lasted a year. Yomega tried to pick things back up at the end with a US distribution deal with Bandai that introduced the X-Brain, and when that didn’t work they sold X-Brains and Firestorms through McDonald’s Happy Meals at less than 50% of their current wholesale prices for the same models…and they destroyed their entire distribution chain OVERNIGHT.

Yoyo booms aren’t good for the yoyo industry. You get one company, maybe two, that tries to do it right and everyone else just rides off their coattails, sucking up sales and giving back nothing in return. They promote yoyoing to the public as a “fad toy” which only reinforces the idea that you should put it down as soon as it’s not “hot” anymore.

Slow, steady, sustainable growth is the best thing for the industry. No one has their act together, though, so I wouldn’t get too excited about anything happening any time soon. Most yoyo companies don’t understand communication technology at all, or they place no value on it, or both…which puts them completely out of the running of being able to kickstart any larger interest in a meaningful, sustainable way.

Slow and steady is all we’ve got.

9 Likes

Another concerning thing about the boom - other non yoyo companies will catch onto the “fad” and put out products serious players wouldn’t even think would try. Anyone remember way back during the 1990s boom of a yoyo called the E-Yo? It was put out by Tiger Electronics and had something that would read the RPMs of your throw. Yes I admit, I thought it was cool back then. But I was a kid as well and didn’t know any better.

Also vaguely remembering another company riding the tail end of the yoyo wave (The guys who made “Bop It” electronic game) with an electronic yoyo ball game called “Zing It.” It was pretty fun but it was only riding the success of the yoyo.

1 Like

Yet… I think yoyo needs to boom every so often. Enough so that people know of its existence. Otherwise I think it will become another forgotten toy. It needs just enough popularity to make it known, so that people know it exists.

I first encountered the yoyo in elementary school through a traveling performance group. I have been on and off playing with it ever since.

Steve should write a modern history of yoyo book. I’d buy it.

1 Like

Totally.
Well a “history” would be difficult as it have to have citation and everything.
A life biography and what he think about yoyoing in general, that’s what I’d like to see.
Oh, him collaborating with Yoyodoc… it would be beyond words.

Steve, I really appreciate your response. Let me apologize for the plethora of incorrect information, or incorrect assumptions at the least. Don’t worry, I’m well aware that this forum doesn’t represent the extent of our community, I’m a member of 5 forums in 3 countries.

I hope my post didn’t come off to be nostalgic, for I didn’t throw for the first time until 2007. I guess there’s plenty more reading to do…

1 Like

I don’t think any of us would have enough time to finish reading that book…

3 Likes

LOL, I so remember that yoyo. I never had or wanted one but remember it because of what a ridiculous idea it was. I wonder if it was in the least bit accurate.