IronArm: trick successes and other discussion

I’ve beaten him two out of three times (not saying i’m gonna beat him) in fact, i know he is gonna beat me this time ( I can see him practicing cause he’s my bro.)

Feelin pretty good about this one! Anyone else do it at 7?

I did. I did it slowly, though. :slight_smile:

Yep, how do you think you did? I’d say i got about three minutes

It took me ten seconds to get done pmed. :frowning:

I did slightly under 2:30, but I already had “done” typed ;D

I thought that was illegal? Maybe not. I’m not actually sure what time i got.

I hope not, I had done already typed too.

Just checked the rules. Nothing that says its illegal :slight_smile:

It was illegal in the locked ironarm challenge.

The rules are different this time around… I mean, I can’t do it at 7. So the “done” thing means zero. I have to video myself and then check the time. I’m counting from when the yoyo leaves my hand for the first time to when it goes back to my hand at the end of the last bind.

I’m still putting kids to bed. Then I should be able to get around to it. :wink:

[edit: a short while later…]

In the frigid night air I stepped forth, “magic mitt” on left hand, Summit on the other. As it turns out, I was far better and smoother at doing them “hands touching” anyhow! I did about 50 at… 3/4 extension or so? but as I got going faster and more determinedly, I gave a few “hands together” ones a try and realized almost instantly that it was more fluid for me that way. Finished out the rest that way.

Non-throw arm a bit sore but not too bad. Definitely set and kept breaking new “consecutive Eli Hops” records! One stretch I must’ve done close to twenty though I was too busy counting the ones for the contest to count the number of hops in a consecutive stretch.

Finished’er out in 6:38. That’s not bad, by my reckoning!

i thought my time was bad. it was 6:39 so i guess according to you its not bad :wink:

Exactly! Not bad!

My eli hops are fast but my gyros arent too hot… Im shooting for 4th!

the trick to doing fast gyros is letting it spin out mid gyro. that makes it spin really fast :wink:

I don’t think that counts :smiley:

Watching MrDynamic and mgiroux do gyros recently I was all “how… wha… HOW???”. They’d probably do 30 in one throw, fully controlled. OK, mild exaggeration, but only barely. Just kept going and going.

Previously, I had only ever done 1 revolution at a time. :wink: Last night I had to practice up a bit and I managed to get 3 or 4.

Question for participants: are you going to count your flops? More specifically: if you do 3 or 4 (or whatever) and then spin out on the 5th, do you scrap that whole set and start again, or count it as 4? In other words, do you have to bind to consider any gyros in that throw as “valid”? In my opinion… yes! A trick is only considered complete if you bind.

However… I get that when you’re going for a record, you might do 3 or 4 (or whatever) and know that you COULD bind… but then you go for the 5th (so far so good!) and 6th (spin out, boo hiss) because you’re pushing limits.

How are you guys going to count yours?

I’m only counting if I get a bind at the end. Looks like my strategy will be 2 flops, bind. I’ve timed myself 5 times today and I’m consistent, anyway.

If that’s how you’re doing it, then that’s what I’m doing, too! I think I can risk three before bind. Maybe. I might be better off doing 2. :wink:

Check out Nick Gumlaw (MrDynamic):

at the 0:10 mark. And I’ve seen him do more on a throw!

If the gyro flops are gong weak at the end, i won’t count the last few ones if i can’t get the bind, but if the spins are going strong but when i’m about to bind i hit my hand and stop the yoyo, i WILL count it. Another thing, If you’ve done a half flop and then stop, can you finish it the next throw or do you have to stop and restart the flop?