I'm making cookies, from scratch.

Here’s a recipe that’s supposed to be good. Haven’t tried it. The cook claims the secret to bake for 10 minutes, then take the pan out and drop it on the oven rack a couple of times.

Recipe: Giant Crinkled Chocolate Chip Cookies

And some tips: Here are 8 steps to cookie-baking success
Some of which have already been mentioned here.

Use to bake, and cook, all the time. Wanted to be a chef for the longest time, almost went to the Chicago Culinary School.

Going back to the butter discussion, I’ve never done it but my wife and a friend both will use melted butter and have never had flat cookies.

We started a vegan diet this year, so we’re still experimenting with vegan baking. Have a cinnamon roll recipe that I’ll be trying real soon.

The important question here is does Invader know the secret to incredible cookies?

(It’s silicone backing mats)

1 Like

Silicone is magic! I used some at a place I worked at a while back. I do not own any currently but that may change. . . :smiley:

Hit me with your addy! I see a bunch of it where I work and can grab you some on the cheap. I can’t guarantee it’ll be particularly soon, but it’ll eventually come through!

1 Like

I made more! my mom came to visit for the holidays and this was my parting gift to her. I feel confident to share this slightly tweaked recipe.

Chewy & Addictive Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

Makes - Precisely a crap load of cookies (3-4 dozen)

350 degrees solidly preheated

2 cups flour (Fluffed, Poured, and Leveled)
1 teaspoon coarse ground sea salt (I used a mortar and pestle to lightly grind down some, You can easily use 1/2 teaspoon kosher or even table salt, and 1/2 teaspoon chunky ground sea salt.)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda (fresh box, not the old box sitting in the fridge!)
1 teaspoon baking powder

1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened. (note: Salted butter is a good alternative to unsalted for
this one but both ways came out great. Your call! I prefer the salted personally)
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cups firmly packed brown sugar. Dark is better but light is still excellent.
2 teaspoons vanilla. Use the best real vanilla you can get. No imitation stuff here.
2 large eggs

3 cups Traditional Oats ( I used Quaker Oats in a cardboard can, avoid instant and steel cut oats)
1 3/4 cups Dehydrated Grapes

Mix the Flour, Powder, Soda, Salt, Cinnamon in a bowl with a whisk. This mixes and de-lumps the dry stuff.

Cream the butter, sugars, and vanilla together until lighter and fluffy. It should be bigger in volume than when you started. I dont have a mixer and this part sucks, but if you do have a mixer, this part is easy! Beat for a couple minutes. Once smooth, Add eggs one at a time, making sure first egg is mixed in well before adding the second egg.

Slowly add the bowl of dry ingredients into the creamed butter until just incorporated.
Do Not Over Mix.
Fold in the Oats and Raisins.

Drop by rounded spoon fulls onto parchment (or silicone! haha) lined cookie sheets. Space about 2 inches apart.

Bake 11-13 minutes on middle rack until just starting to brown around the edges. Will still look at little wet. After a couple minutes, pull them off the pan to cool. I just pull the sheet of parchment off and it all slides off easy onto the cooling rack.

They are a great “with milk” cookie and is even better the next day! Store covered after they have fully cooled down. Keeps for about a week. The larger granules of salt survives the process and leaves you with little gifts of salty goodness after you think the cookie is almost over. :slight_smile:

ENJOY! I am. right now while I write this. MMMMmm!

oatmeal raisin cookies that look like oatmeal chocolate chip cookies are the reason I have trust issues

cant help it, im making more. I like to ball up the dough just like I was gonna bake it, but freeze them instead. After they are hard frozen you can put em in a bag and keep them for a long time. Bake a few when ever. This avoids having stacks on stacks of cookies. Bonus, you can bake the frozen dough balls straight away. No thawing required!

Ehhhh…I never personally had much luck with silicone bakeware. I’m a fan of commerical stainless steel or aluminum. Got a couple commercial half-sheets that’ve been real workhorses…but it’s just personal preference.