Identify old Duncan yoyo Contest Patch

found an old contest patch hoping someone can help me identify it or give me a push in the right direction.

3 Likes

Not same as one pictured but heading in right direction!

7 Likes

Andre, thanks for the reply and link, this patch is 3"x3" from what else I found the particular design by description was used from the late 50’s to mid 80’s. our son in law is an avid yo-yo fan so we thought he’d appreciate it. going to see if I can get any more background on it from the seller.

2 Likes
2 Likes

I have several of those types of patches. I ‘won’ them in the sixties. I also have some Duncan Spinning Top patches from the same era. If I could find them, I’d post pictures.

4 Likes

That’s awesome @sammymann!
Just wondering what YoYos you used and what sort of tricks were being done in the 60’s to win a contest?

2 Likes

My go to Yo-Yo’s at the time My fabulous yellow and white Duncan Butterfly. I always had a couple of Duncan Imperials on hand. Green, Red, Purple. Just in case I broke a string on the Butterfly. I would immediately take a string from one of my Imperials. I used them all the time so I never had to worry about breaking in a new string… The big tricks at the time compared to the what you people are throwing today, would make me look like a turtle playing golf. Today’s Yo Yo champs, throwers and casual tossers are awesomely fantastic. In my day any trick of substance had to do with catching the yo yo on the string and then either the eiffel tower, man on the flying trapeze, 5 star, hunchback… All relatively simple compared to the master of today. My big contest win was from the 10 trick Duncan book at the time. Climaxing with Man On The Flying Trapeze… Thanks for letting me yammer on. You people are fantastic…

12 Likes

You sound like a class act @sammymann! Thanks for sharing!

3 Likes

Hey @TheThrowingGnome…Kind words from a master thrower That you are from ,what I feel is, the most awesome yo yo generation to date and have historical interest: It’s always great to engage with those who have an expansive thirst for their interests. If you throw to music, what music do you throw to. Also what is your go to yo yo currently?

3 Likes

Lately I’ve been achieving extreme states of Yo throwing to the album released by the Dalai Lama on his 85th birthday! As I’ve managed to collect nearly every single OneDrop model and variants, my “go to” is in perpetual rotation!

4 Likes

Thanks, cool site

I got a little more background on the patch. The guy I bought it from was collecting and said he got it from the original recipient and figure by his age that the patch was from the late fifty’s.

3 Likes

Right here is why I push on. Music Above All Else! Thank you @TheThrowingGnome. My education continues…

1 Like