I was cryogenically frozen in 2001, and revived today

What did I miss, yo-yo wise, in the last 20 years?

Edit: sorry, that was a big ask. Maybe tell me one thing I missed? Excited to get back into yo-yoing and curious about what I missed out on.

7 Likes

Oh hardly anything at all. It’s only 20 YEARS afterall…

6 Likes

Futurama vibes…

2 Likes

Wyyc is online because of a pandemic

…For the second year in a row lmao

3 Likes

You missed the Draupnir

Yoyojam is dead

Basically, the entire scene is different.

Good luck!

3 Likes

Welcome back!
I´m not sure about 5A. I only remember it was developed around the year 2000.
Horizontal Tricks and Bimetal Yoyos come to my mind spontaneously.

3 Likes

How into yoyo were you back in the day?

2 Likes

One word: bind

9 Likes

well we went from sharp angular design phase, to budget phase, to bimetal phase, to plastic phase, to fingerspin phase, to H shape phase, to wide â– â– â– â– â– â– â– â–  phase, and now to round O shaped yoyo phase.

3 Likes

These will help get you through the first ten years

Get your popcorn :popcorn: ready

7 Likes

I’d say obsessed. Collection was at about 80 yo-yos when I stopped yo-yoing and collecting. Won the Midwest Regional Yo-Yo Championship. Was in college when I stopped. My last yo-yo was a Protostar my mom gave me. Couldn’t figure out the bind from the booklet I got with the yoyo and my interest was waning anyway so I put it in my case and didn’t pick it up until recently. Learned the bind and my mind is blown at the possibilities.

8 Likes

Yes. Yes. Yes. Can’t wait to watch these. Thank you!

3 Likes

I’ve read a few comments and posts on V/W/whatever shapes, but I can’t figure it out. If it’s not to much, do you mind throwing out some examples of some/all of the shapes you mentioned? I just don’t get it, lol.

3 Likes

This video is becoming a bit old now, but I think it’s incredibly well done and shows a ton of cool stuff. 10 000 HOURS | World Yoyo Contest 2014 - YouTube

3 Likes

Book marked. Thank you!

1 Like

Here’s a picture, from left to right you have W, H, O(rganic), and V

10 Likes

Perfect. Thanks!

2 Likes

Loved them! First one did a great job depicting the evolution from the showy THP to a more grass-roots brotherhood of innovation. I love that, just getting together, creating tricks and/or building off of others’ tricks. Glad those guys kept it going because it’s sooo much better than before. And then learning tricks off the internet. Didn’t have that in the least when I came up. I didn’t even realize it until just now, but a yo-yo case I got back in the late 90s is a THP case. Had no idea what THP was until now. “Yo For It!” Soooo cheesy, but kept a good chunk of the collection intact.

The 2nd one was really cool too. I was torn on whether or not to root for Kimmel. Hard life + freezing on stage (like anyone can relate to) but cocky. I was ultimately super happy when he won. Thanks again for sharing! Definitely filled in some blanks.

4 Likes

Zero gravity yo-yo has become its own thing now that interplanetary travel is so common.

1 Like