How to Clean Your YoYo Bearing

yes i’m also cleaning my bearing for the first time. i can’t figure out how to take off the c clip. i watched the above videos. even when using a small needle or safet pin i can’t seem to get it out. is there a specific method? ???

somebody help!!!

Here is a useful picture. Find and identify the red and blue arrow-ed parts, and especially the red one. The red one is easier to snag with the needle and be pryed out, so use that side.

such a simple picture. but it helped. i got it. ;D
i thought i was going to break the bearing i had to work at it for a while. thanks

here’s how i clean my bearing:
remove the bearing
fill a paper cup with just enough gasoline to fully submerge the bearing
slosh it around a bit
and here is the part that just gets your bearing spinning intensely quick:
if no one has found out, a straw fits perfectly in the new breed bearing hole, so, i put the bearing on the straw after soaking it in gasoline, then take it to my air compressor and put it under intense air compression!
it will begin to go ZZZZZZZZZZ from the speed.
some may say this is bad because you’re “not supposed to over spin a bearing” or because “it dries out the bearing” so finish things up with just a pinch of thin lube.

note: this will cause your bearing to become considerably louder. :wink:

That isn’t a new idea. Most people use the end of a pencil. The slope of it makes it useful for all sizes of bearings. Also for those of use that don’t have an air compressor you can use a computer air duster.

cyber bully
did i say it was a new idea? NOPE.
and don’t try to sound smart with your words like “slope”
:o

by other lubrication can you give me some examples other than trumper valve oil? I forgot to order it>.<

as well, for cleaning im gonna either use the lighter fluid method or the thin lube method, so would the “any lubrication” work for that?

can u use goo gone extream to clean i dont want to destroy my bearing :-\

Just stick to lighter fluid and mineral spirits unless u have a million bearings
Zippo, Charcoal Fluid all that stuff works well

I have Duncan yoyos only could this still work ??? THANKS

Yep, you can clean the bearing on Duncan yo-yos.

i take off bearing, fill container with breakfree, shake for 3 min, use a hair dryer on cold and on high, put 1 shield in, lube, put in yoyo, play, then i wait to clean again

you dont need to keep ur bearings sheilded right?

Nope, I keep mine out, I like the play better.

do you guys know if these mineral spirits will work ok without leaving rust or buildup?

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&productId=100677231&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=100677231&cm_mmc=shopping--googlebase--D24X-_-100677231&locStoreNum=2602&marketID=39

they are ‘klean strip’ brand and actually say they are a greener mineral spirits alternative thats better for the environment.  it is also opaque white in color, so im a little skeptical about using this to clean bearings.

Would any paint thinner that is not water based work for cleaning the bearing? Or should I stay away from some? I’m going to clean it for the first time so I want to make sure I’m not doing anything wrong…

yeah would laquer thinner work

This thread is scary.

6 pages and not one mention that YOU ARE PLAYING WITH DANGEROUS CHEMICALS.

Not a single warning about safety, proper ventilation, or getting parents to do things for you.

The average age of this board is extremely low, very few people here should be doing this themselves.

All of the things used to clean bearings are TOXIC and FLAMMABLE. Direct exposure to them can lead to serious health problems, they are very easy to ignite by accident, and improper disposal of them is harmful to the environment.

I’m surprised that the moderators have encouraged such an incredibly irresponsible thread.

Kyle (who is for the moment ignoring the pile of misinformation in this thread)

Thanks Kyo. Fixed.

remove ‘probably’…

Lighter Fluid is typically made with naptha, a strong carcinogen (directly linked to causing cancer)… it also contains other ingredients that are all hazardous to your health.

Improper ventilation can be even worse.

A better warning…

• WARNING: THE CHEMICALS USED IN THIS PROCESS ARE DANGEROUS. EXPOSURE HAS BEEN LINKED TO SERIOUS HEALTH PROBLEMS. USE THEM ONLY OUTDOORS OR IN A WELL VENTILATED AREA. THESE CHEMICALS ARE HIGHLY FLAMMABLE.

IF YOU ARE UNDER 18 PARENT SUPERVISION IS REQUIRED. IF YOU ARE OVER 18, DON’T BE AN IDIOT.

WEAR GLOVES AND EYE PROTECTION, AVOID SKIN CONTACT, AVOID IGNITION SOURCES, AND CHECK LOCAL LAWS FOR PROPER DISPOSAL GUIDELINES. USE ONLY OUTDOORS OR IN WELL VENTILATED AREAS.-