How seriously do people take it?

So yesterday I was at the VA state yoyo contest and it was a really chill experience. I walked in a few minutes before the competitoon started, and immediatly saw of my favorite players, Daniel Dietz. There was so many things I wanted to ask him. Except this guy was in the corner by himself practicing his routine and he looked like he was really concentrating. I realized that some people might not take yoyoing as a ‘hobby’ only. I didn’t want to disturb him because he might have trained really hard for tha competition and he was getting ‘in the zone’.

So the pros that yoyo take yoyoing to the same level as pros that do other sports? This is really interesting to me

yoyoing can be just like anything else… like people jogging… some people jog just to jog… others make it really competetive, and go on to the olympics and such… some people play instruments to make music… others play instruments to make a living…

I guess that some people take it crazy serious but you still should have talked to him.

Except people have hardly ever made a living off of yoyo.

I don’t take yoyo that serious. I’m new, I’m doing this for recreational/hobby purposes only. My goals are modest. I don’t intend to perform and will never compete. I just want to be able to have an activity I can enjoy and doesn’t require heavy lifting. As my main income is through doing live sound production, that requires lots of heavy lifting.

Yoyo is NOT heavy lifting, compact and very portable!

There’s no reason you can’t be seriously about yoyo. I’m serious about it from the standpoint of I’d like to be decent at it so I can enjoy it as much as I possibly can. If I’m going to do something, I might as well be good at it.

You should have talked with Dan. I talked with him at MA state yoyo contest and got him to sign his YYE card. Really laid oil guy and seemed pretty modest even though he has crazy skills.

Ya he is very nice. But look at jensen, Ben conde etc. they compete to make a cool show not to try very hard to win.

You should take it seriously as you want to. You shouldn’t feel pressured to take it more seriously or less seriously than you want it.

The yoyo is a toy and you should have fun playing with it.

I wish you had talked to me I would have really enjoyed it. As for your question, I always take yoyoing seriously as far as competing goes. With having a sponsor and a yoyo with my name on it I feel I always have to try to do my best during a contest. I think also being the competitive person I am has something to do with it. I always love meeting new people at contest though. I know if you had went up to talk to me I would have definitely enjoyed it. If there are things or questions you wanted to talk to me about or what not you can always pm me or talk to me on Facebook. I hope you had a fun time at the contest! - Daniel

4 Likes

Well, as you are a sponsored player, it’s obvious you’re taking this whole yoyo thing way more seriously than most of us would. Nothing wrong with that. Also, I think that in your situation as a sponsored player, your expectations are raised because your name is being associated with a brand and a product, and you’re placed in a position of being a face for a company, a part of their corporate image. Clearly, you’re OK with all of this or you wouldn’t have accepted it, and I think it’s fantastic that people such as yourself are willing to step up to such position and challenge. Later on, should you choose to move on from either yoyo’ing and/or being sponsored, this sort of thing will look good on a resume. You’re obviously building a good work ethic and know how to be a “company man” and a team player, all good skills regardless of what you choose to do for a steady income.

You’ve got the right attitude for what you’re doing. You must enjoy it. I can’t suggest you change anything. If you’re happy, leave it alone! Being serious about something doesn’t mean it can’t be fun. That’s something you’ve definitely figured out.

I ran into Daniel outside … i was hanging out with Evan … and he came up and asked me to watch his stuff real quick :slight_smile: … and when he came back i showed him all of my stuff and we spoke for a bit and then he had to go back inside to compete …

he was definitely easy to talk to … and i bet all of the pros are the same ?? … i also didn’t walk up to any pros … cus of the same reasons … don’t want to get in their way of prep etc… but Daniel is a laid back person and i am glad to have ran into him.

Next year I will talk to you :slight_smile:
my dad who knows nothing about yoyoing pointed out, “I like that guy, his style is fast and powerful”. Thought you might like that.

Plus it only takes a few minutes to go through a yoyo routine. If someone interrupts you, it’s very easy to start over.

They best rule of thumb I’ve found is that if somebody is OFF BY THEMSELVES WEARING HEADPHONES then leave them be for a moment because they’re practicing for a freestyle. That being said, I’ve never met anyone who has been a dick about being interrupted (Tyler Severance can be a little grumpy, but that’s cause he’s always getting mobbed by ankle biters) and on the rare occasion somebody runs up to me to want to talk while I’m practicing I never mind having a chat.