How do you edit free style music?

Trust me I’ve tried it. It makes my laptop fan go reeeeeeeee the entire day

1 Like

well I might need to update something, I just found it in my downloads and it is not letting me put it on audacity.

1 Like

Should be ok hmmm

Audacity is great for editing music. Handles different formats as well.

You can use VLC to convert an MP4 or other formats to MP3. for use with audacity.

2 Likes

Dang, it was the first result on google too, goes to show I shouldn’t have assumed that meant it was safe. I didn’t test it out before I posted, but I put in an URL and the “download” link was something extremely sketchy so I trust you. I just didn’t want to try and explain using youtube-dl which is a command line tool.

If you’re okay w/ that, after it’s installed using it is pretty straight forward. In your command prompt you’d run:

youtube-dl --extract-audio --audio-format mp3 <video URL>
1 Like

I do music. I would be happy to help you sift through the process. I use Ableton but also use FL and Logic Pro X. I have a website thxmos.com and I’d be happy to help people set up arrangements for they audio for freestyles. Can’t wait til this pandemic is over. Ask me anything <3

1 Like

just google “YouTube to mp3” you’ll get a good site

lol that’s exactly what I searched that produced the sketchy site

I’ll just keep using youtube-dl, it’s a swiss army knife.

Thank guys! Still trying to figure it out.

Loading a file into audacity is just a matter of dragging and dropping., Or go to the file menu and open the desired file in audacity.

Hey so I think I discovered something. My mom showed me a website called Y2mate.com and that site converted my song pretty easily.

ytmp3 isn’t sketchy it just redirects you to an ad site when you download. a simple close resolves that. but to each their own mate no hate on this side!

1 Like

ETA: I looked into the domain more. .frl is a new top-level domain that was created in ~2014. It’s for Freisland which is a province in the Netherlands; their language is Frisian. The string of characters fjrifj translates to “free” in English. So, the domain is less suspicious to me now since Domain Generation Algorithms spit out strings that are longer and more complicated. The site is probably fine, but I would highly recommend using uBlock Origin as an ad-blocker before visiting the link.

Idk dude, I work in cybersecurity. When I see a link like this pop up when trying to download an mp3 from the site:

I’m immediately suspicious since it’s a) not from the same domain and b) looks like a generated domain name which is common with malicious sites and malware; it’s not worth the risk.

Plus, ads aren’t harmless, they can be used to serve up malware. It happened to Forbes

which is a generally “trusted” site, so I have no reason to believe the ads served by that url linked to the download button wouldn’t be malicious. Even with an ad blocker, not willing to risk it. I would rather use known-good open source software like VLC (or youtube-dl, my choice) to download the mp4 then convert to an mp3.

It’s probably fine, but I’d rather not risk it.

3 Likes

yeah ive gotten things like extra ads on YT (i know these arnt yt ads cuz i use an ad blocker) to things such as random pop ups on the side of my screen to the worst of them a new tab opening to random sketchy AF sites that look like IG or FB and ask u to put your password in, allowing them to access ur acc

With Audacity you can record your computers audio output meaning you can hit record in Audacity, press play on the YouTube video (or Spotify, Soundcloud, etc…) and it will record everything that is coming out of your speakers or headphones.

All you need to do is set your recording device to “Speakers” or whatever output device you’re using.

Here’s the settings I use as an example (they might be different for you).

This will save you downloading files from sketchy websites, which I always advise against.

2 Likes

Good to know! Thanks!!!

1 Like

You guys are great!

I’m not as techy as you but I appreciate the info. I’ve just always used Ad Blocker and ytmp3 to be honest. Glad to see you dig in it tho man!

1 Like

I’m putting in my vote for Audacity as well.
I bought Roland/Edirol products like Cakewalk/Sonar products for years (which are cool because they’re modular and you can add them up, and which they go above and beyond updating for Windows for years).
But even with those products, I have wound up using Audacity to put music and radio programs “in the can” 100%.
It’s way easier to install, easier to use, compatible with endless free VST(?) plugins.
Tremendously powerful. Needless, graphic bells and whistles do not show up in songs.
I had a girl send me a bible chapter read aloud on a cellphone app with a lawnmower and cussing in the background.
Audacity made it sound like it’s from the studio in an hour.
As long as you play with the tools and learn.
Everything you need, modest interfaces.
Audacity fueled all my programs from A-Z heard across the continent, including special EQ, compression, limiting, and filtering requirements that affect AM radio broadcast parameters.
Lots of people make fun if you used Audacity with nice mics and instruments etc. saying it’s like putting crappy fuel in a Porsche or something, because they don’t understand the bottom line of end results, and they usually have little to show for themselves.
For a couple minor inconveniences, Audacity’s ease of installation and everyday use (and lack of glitches!) far outweighs a couple of quirks of taking an extra moment here or there to do something else.
“Audacity” – >ding< (tooth glistens)

1 Like

cool! so after you edit a song dose it save automatically, or is there something else I have to do? I know the original mp3 is saved on the desk top, but do I have to create another mp3 for the new edited one?