How different do same colorway splashes/speckles turn out?

If you were to do the same yoyo with the same splash or speckle colorway would they be the same, nearly the same, or completely different? I don’t know much about how these types of anodizing are done so I’m not sure how different they would turn out.

2 Likes

I’m no expert but I can tell you that a whole lot of yo-yos look a lot like a whole lot of other yo-yos and there REALLY needs to be some creativity brought into this because some of these same splashes and stuff are getting kind of boring.

I really like the way people are putting engravings on all different parts of the yo-yo now instead of just on the cups, that’s a start. Also, my Dominator’s steel rings are electroplated and it looks awesome so companies need to pick up on that.

Lastly, have you guys seen what yoyorecreation is doing, the engraving being different for every different color in a release (like on the TM)? That really distinguished the different color and makes them so unique.

Based on photos I’ve seen of the Saturday market colorway, there’s a lot of variance between the results in the same run. Pretty sure it’s the same for Galaxy colors and anything else even remotely complicated.

In my first Diffraction run there were just enough differences in how the fade lined up to be able to tell all of them apart, like a fingerprint, though it’s a lot less obvious than in a big complicated splash.

2 Likes

The yoyos within a batch can vary significantly. Some things like splash, splatter pattern, fade gradient and acid wash pattern will necessarily be different as each one is done by hand. Intra batch, you may also see variation in color intensity and saturation depending on whether the yoyos were anodized as a single group, in small batches or one by one.

From run to run or across different yoyos of the same colorway, you’re likely to see bigger differences. Dyes will not usually be the exact same batch or could be mixed to different concentrations. If the anodizer is a different individual, they will bring their own splash or wash technique which will also make it look different. If a different anodizing company is used to replicate a colorway it’ll likely be dramatically different.

4 Likes