Hitting the end of the string

Thin gap and heavy string (so the string stays in contact with the response longer) and lots of rim weight (so the yo-yo unwinds slower). Speeder 2 all the way! The yo-yo will feel heavier during the initial throw because it takes a little more force to get a rim-weighted yo-yo to the end, but very little thunk because it hits the end slower and has the thin gap. Pair it up with some decent string (doesn’t have to be that thick) and you’re good to go! Of course the thin gap means you can’t be “sloppy” during play or you’ll get unexpected “binds” :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is totally anecdotal, but I think thin string contacts the pad longer. There are more wraps in contact with the pad as it’s unwinding. Code 1 for me gets a bit of kickback (which is caused by slower unwinding) with thin string and not with normal or thick string.

When you bind with a thick string, a lot of the string length can end up outside the gap. With a thin string, it’s all down in thar. :wink:

Doesn’t make sense to me, but maybe! As a disclaimer, I hate thin string and have never tried especially thick string (maybe type 8 at most). My “string theory” is theoretical and not even anecdotal. Don’t know which is better, haha.

The major “thunk” is actually my biggest complaint about yoyofactory designs…too much gap.

On the other end, I really like the gap size on yoyorecreation because it gives a nicer throw, less thunk.

1 Like

You dont use shims in a speeder2? so dat s a thing…

I thought they had been out of stock for a while and discontinued. I have often thought about it due to its low weight and comfy shape. Your post made me believe real good, and my wish came true! Thanks!

[quote=“FiveIronBrian,post:21,topic:70188”]
:wink: :smiley:

I play a lot of fixed axle, so I’m totally ready for those knuckle smashes!

I have only tried one YYR which is my Sleipnir, and the response feels really dialed in to me with stock pads. I do prefer a fresh response, but I’m cheap so I play them till the pads fall out. But more on point, it does not thunk like my Teh Yo/flat bearing, even though I only play the Sleipnir with a ceramic KK.

During my time trying to figure out how to make it work, I tried to play the Teh Yo with Gator Floss (have a few left lol), with Hamstring type 12, and some thick bouncy stuff from G-String. All super bouncy strings. Teh Nope Yo is not for wee faerie joints such as mine!

Actually I do! I use the thinner Dif-E-Yo metal shims. However if thunk reduction is what you’re after…

Summit with a center track and a normal kitty has nice soft thunk

Also I always test different bearings string and response for every throw u till I find the combination with the softest thunk