Help with Superman

In search of tips on the trick Superman

I have a questions and need some help.
I have the through triangle moves down.
The magic drop portion is illusive to me.
I am able to do 80% of my attempts doing magic drop / shock wave. I have been told I would need to be almost perfect with magic drop to be able to hit this part, so I have been practicing magic drop and shock wave. Is there anything else I could do to make this move in Superman.
I have been trying all the tips, finger and thumb locked in pistol position, thumb up. I do think I have not been getting the throw close enough to my throw index finger so the thumb can reject the string.
I have watch tutorials even the ones from the place that shall not be named. All are great but that portion is difficult for me.

General question about Superman in that last move back through the triangle the little bit of tail that follows the throw like a cape… is that considered a slack that is the question.

I remember when I was first getting into throwing that little bit with the tail, slack thing that looked like a cape following the throw was so interesting it really had me after seeing that trick.

2 Likes

This old andre boulay tutorial helped me get this rejection well because the other one on that other site over explained and got me confused. I really liked the tip he gives to just practice the rejection from wrist mount. This is how I got it because you can do just wrist mount double on, bounce around and back to wrist mount. That rejection is the hardest part and isolating that helps to get the feel for the rejection before putting it all together and with less knots. For myself, I try to just keep my TH very still and try not to cushion the yo or move that hand at all and it usually rejects good if everything is in place but it does feel awkward good luck!

edit vid starts from if you had done wrist mount and the hop back in and also keep the tension on the string that’s the part that makes it reject and why I focus on keeping still because I have to fight my instinct to cushion the yo

Edit again because I didn’t answer that other question but I would say no because there isn’t really a pinch but I do get a superman in flight vibe certainly and think it is a well named trick…here’s the OG version if you’re curious…Jason Lee all responsive too!

Sorry, I’m doing too much…I just want to nerd out about yoyo tricks and like talking shop about tricks and stuff

3 Likes

I don’t know how you throw it right now, but the setup before the magic drop is what helps it reject. I also turn my NTH mid rejection to aim the string it’s landing on, open up the gap, and also help encourage the rejection to happen by spreading the gap open with my NTH while the yoyo is coming over my TH for the rejection.

Shot of the setup before I roll over.
setup

4 Likes

Thank you that is helpful for sure. You have that movement down cold. I am going to work on that portion until I have it down that smooth. Thank you for the help.

2 Likes

No problem, if you need help just let me know! Good luck :smiley:

1 Like

One thing that helped me with the rejection (actually Superman is what taught me to do the Magic Drop consistently) is ‘string tension’. Magic drop rejects when the string is tense and I don’t know why none of the tutorials mentions it. In Magic Drop you need to make it tense by positioning hand right, in Superman it’s much easier cause you’ve got two fingers and the part of the wrist generating the tension on their own, not much more work to do here, you can even hold the L shape just straight.

That said, thanks for opening the topic, personally I’ve been struggling with the last move for few months and could use some help here as well :wink:

3 Likes

Reread what I wrote and “cushion” was probably a terrible way to describe how I was messing this up so to clarify—I noticed that I was putting my hand in the correct position, like how @suspense shows it in that pic, but then as the yo went around, right before the rejection, I was moving my hand out of place and fighting the rejection instead of encouraging it. For me, when I noticed that I was moving my hand out of position and focused on keeping throw hand still and in the correct position, I started to get this more consistently. Good luck!

1 Like

Hello everyone thank you so much for the tips and the advice. I really believe our explanations tutorials need to use the words like pass, lob, slight, cushion, single hand tension, I know the mantra of discovery with multiple attempts. Thank you to @suspense, @Marchew and @GTDropKnot the discussion and pictures and explanation of the start and final positions of the magic drop move. I can hit all of the elements of the trick clean. Now I have to get them smooth and get the flow correct.

I also have to change the expression on my face and look less surprised as I hit each element.

1 Like

Yo congrats! I legit laughed out loud reading that last line and do that too nice work!!!

1 Like

Awesome, glad to hear we could help :handshake:

2 Likes

Hey man, huge congrats! That’s a milestone.

If that’s possible I would like to keep this topic alive for one more question - can anybody provide me with some advice about the last pop through the triangle? I’ve got problems with consistency - I manage to open up a triangle by moving my NTH down a bit while doing the preparation before popping the last jump, but even if I manage to go through the triangle I miss the proper string to land. I found that pushing it with the thumb is not enough, I’m currently experimenting with rotating my TH wrist.

1 Like

“The trick to hopping it in is just to increase the size of the string gap. Having your fingers be extended outwards towards your NTH is what you want, not spreading your fingers wide as you would with normal chopsticks stuff. Spreading your fingers further apart like you would for chopsticks only makes this movement harder. Also this extra wrap around the TH middle finger lets you push the string all the way to the tip of the finger, instead of being stuck around the middle knuckle.”

This is some stuff another user here @mable wrote that helped me figure out the hopping through wristmount triangles. And you’re good don’t hesitate to ask about tricks or revive threads it’s all good. I haven’t experienced the missing the string part though so keep asking for advice if this doesn’t help

Sounds like you’re moving your wrist in a funky way to get the triangle to open and misaligning the string. I would try these tips

1 Like

Thanks a lot, I will try to work with it. Btw. is the extra wrap some part of the trick I missed or just something to be used if I don’t have enough place why performing the trick correctly?

1 Like

It’s extra but it can make it easier to get through the triangle focus on the other tips first and that can be a last resort I usually don’t do it like that

2 Likes

just noticed some differences in how andre and connor execute in their videos. andre does the first pop through the triangle on the inside toward his body, connor does it to the front side away from his body, then andre does the magic drop to the front string and pops to back string, but connor magic drops to back string and pops to front string. seems like just variations because the mounts end up the same. either way i’m gonna be in knots for a while tryna learn this. glad I know magic drop and can land spirit bomb.

1 Like

Yea I had the same problem when learning this trick. The tutorials I watched disagreed with each other. I’m still not sure if the way I do it is “correct” but it looks like a Superman and I start and end in a wrist mount lol. There’s some different ways like if you pop out one way in the beginning you got gotta pop out a different way later

1 Like

The OG version is in the thread - Jason’s one.

I think I would also trust Sector Y:
https://archive.sector-y.com/tricks/string_tricks/superman/

Thanks! Seems like I’ve been doing it correctly actually aside from the mandatory somersault after the dismount lol

1 Like

There were 2 tricks I wanted to nail down 20 years ago. Spirit bomb and Superman. Spirit bomb was down, one of the first ones I checked if I can still do after 20 years long break. Superman will be down in a week or two, then I’m clueless what’s next :wink:

2 Likes

Now that I have the elements of OG Superman down and just cleaning up the flow making it smooth… I see this new Kohta’s Superman trick.
Check out Kohta’s Superman is awesome it is the next trick I am committing to learning.

Crazy good yo-yo stuff

2 Likes