Help me recall what YYJ this is

TLDR:
1.what yoyojam is it?
2. what bearing fits it?
Pics below.

So a while back I bought an old lot of yyj’s in need of some serious TLC, long story short it’s not a super spinfaktor like I thought it was from the poor quality pics and not a phat faktor I don’t think, and doesn’t fit a size B bearing, tried an A just to see and it fit the outer race diameter but the dome slop of the bearing seat made a string gap that the string could slip into. So I’m thinking it’s some older obscure bearing size with a thinner inner race similar to a size B, maybe one spintastics or some other old yo-yo brands used back then. It’s been a long time and I just don’t remember anymore.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

currently at work, will upload better bearing seat pics when I’m home.

5 Likes

Looks like a mega spinfaktor 2 to me

2 Likes

See I thought the same thing at first too, but the domed “bearing seat” area is what’s confusing me because a size B bearing is a smaller outer diameter then the outer bearing seat ring is on the yo-yo and that dome touches the inner diameter of the bearing so even as tight as I dare tighten this old yyj it still allows it to slip between the bearing and plastic. a konkave size B is out of the question either way. So I’m still stumped. I swear I’ve seen some old jams like this before but I don’t know what bearing this actually takes if not a size B. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Clessiah?

Nope Clessiah came out in 2004 and was a C bearing with hybrid o-ring/starburst response and a bit wider then this one is. Had a couple of those for 3A. Also I don’t think I ever saw a nickel plated bronze rimmed one.

1 Like

What about the 2.2 spinfaktor?

1 Like

I think the bearing seat has just been damaged. Judging by how the axle looks like it has been modified, I’m guessing it was a failed mod project at one point. I would have guessed Yoyojam DJ but were those available in white?

1 Like

It’s not a phat faktor, my best guess is it’s a megafaktor 2.2 due to the shape and response dimples. Sadly I don’t have one.
http://www.yoyomuseum.com/museum_view.php?action=view&subaction=exhibit&exhibitid=705

Edit: That’s a strange axle, and the bearing post is gone. It looks like the original insert for the axle was drilled out and another pressed in. It was either broken and “repaired” or modified in some terrible fashion.

1 Like

I don’t think any modder would have drilled out and re-pressed it with the exact same size insert and 6x32 axle into polycarbonate without considerable effort, skill, and proper tooling then turn around and make such a travesty of the bearing seat and post. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
For the handful of throws I got out of it with the B bearing in it, It was nearly dead smooth. I could very well be wrong about it being a botched mod job, However I will say to the gloss finish of the plastic and everything in the bearing seat domed area it was all shiny new glossed not lathed milled or modified in any distinguishable way. (The indentation was from trying to use the size B bearing just screwed a little bit tighter to see if it’d be viable at all, it wasn’t.)
If it was simply poorly modified and honestly that’d be my best guess at this point then I’m there with you on it being a Mega Spinfaktor. I don’t think it’s a 2.2 though. Those were marbled unique pieces.
I may just lathe into it and put in a SPR kit or something because as it is, it’s unusable with its intended bearing since the ring of plastic around the bearing seat is bigger than the size B bearing I put in it.

1 Like

You’re correct. I mistyped that, probably while wishing I could find a 2.2 lol

1 Like

I’ve been following hoping you would find an answer!

Where did it come from? A lot of old prototype and sample yoyojam stuff entered the market through former employees and family (hi todd). Some years at worlds there were tables full.

I’ll go look through my stash to see if I can offer any guidance

1 Like

A lot of old yoyojams from an online thrift store that looked like they were lovingly wrapped in a wet towel and kicked into a basement for 15-20 years. Lol been doing some yo-yo restoration. I was wondering if it may have been something from yoyojam tinkering with stuff or a worlds mod table project gone wrong and cast aside ¯_(ツ)_/¯ it was the only one that didn’t have a rusty bearing on it. So I was suspicious of what happened to it.

2 Likes