Help. Fixing my Boho

Is this pine going to work as an axle?
Any suggestions on making this take apart?
Any other general advice?

I tried to make one already and it was too short.
Also looks like the string is digging into it. Only threw it a few times.

3 Likes

Pine is a pretty soft wood. Maybe try something like maple or walnut?

Also, this is the first time Iā€™m seeing the inside of a BoHo. It looks so much nicer than a Legend Wing. I may have to pick one up now.

I had to sand the wing I had. Ended up giving it to a kid who was watching me.

The Boho is many times better. Heavier than the wing. And the finish is much more polished.

Yeah I tried two more axle with the pine. Not gonna work. Iā€™ll hit up the specialty wood store tomorrow.

1 Like

One time I got a perfectly smooth Legend Wing. Every Legend Wing since has been behind rough on the inside. Iā€™m talking like insanely rough.

Howā€™s the weight compared to the Legend Wing?

One of the most important elements to a fixed axle yoyo is the gap width. I donā€™t know what the stock gap was, but I would spend some time testing and adjusting the gap before you glue it.

2 Likes

This looks like itā€™s not a one piece. I thought it was since the legend wing is a one piece. What happened to the original axle? Did it break?

And yes, walnut is likely the best choice for consistent response. Maple will work too but could be a bit slippier.

As for a take apart, itā€™s possible but very difficult to get right. Likely not worth the effort.

1 Like

Getting a groove ā€œburned inā€ on a wooden axle is very common and normal. I like the groove on my legend wing bc itā€™s right in the center and helps keep the string away from the walls. Idk just wanted to say something. Also you can burn in a groove in like one throw if you throw really hard. Itā€™s called burning in bc you can kinda smell a burning smell. I learned all this from Steve browns podcast also btw. Good luck!

1 Like

Itā€™s probably not a popular opinion, but I like to take the metal axle out of an old Duncan butterfly and glue it into wooden throws. I have an old wooden Duncan tournament that I cut in half and turned into a butterfly with a metal butterfly axle and, while it does wobble, because I hand drilled the axle holes without clamps or measuring, it still plays great and has great response. If you do go this route, I would try to find an older butterfly to yank the axle out of because they are concave and seem to work a bit better than the new ones which are very angular.

1 Like

The original glue didnā€™t last on one side. I used wood glue to put it back together and messed up the gap. Used too much glue so the axle didnā€™t go all the way back in. Thus trying to fix my gluing error.

1 Like

Maybe too late for this suggestion, but in the wood turning topic, youā€™ll see people using specific numbers of playing cards to measure and set the gaps when gluing. Iā€™ve had a few wood yoyos glue give up on one side. Wood glue has usually worked for me. The one that didnā€™t, Iā€™ve been meaning to try epoxy, but havenā€™t found the time yet.

1 Like

4 Likes

Thatā€™s a neat idea. Do we get to call that a hybrid lol

1 Like

How many cards is that? I need to re glue my bloodcell at some point

1. Bloodcell is also 8 cards.
6 Likes