Grendel signs off

Are you @craZivn or @Grendel on DMR or DSTAR? And if you don’t know what ideas message me and I’ll let you know how bad you need to get involved. I have my extra license and I’m actually an examiner here locally.

Ok, I’ll bite; what is the utility gained by learning Morse-code? Does it get you a job at sea? Or, is this just a new hobby?

It is 2022; right?

4 Likes

Restaurant cook was the highest mortality rate of all professions from Covid. Steel survives. Be well.

6 Likes

Gosh, where to begin…

This is just off the top of my head mind you, but suppose he was flying an A-6A Intruder inside the air space of North Vietnam near Hanoi for “the lulz” when suddenly he got hit by North Vietnamese Army anti-aircraft fire forcing him to eject from his badly damaged aircraft and parachute safely to the ground near the city of Thanh Ho only to find himself surrounded by hostile enemy forces. With little hope of escape, he’d have no choice but to surrender and become a POW.

Now you might be saying, “that’s it – there’s no way he’ll get out of this alive”, and were it any other man, you might be right. But you see, he has a unique skill that might be able to tip the balance in his favor. Should the unlikely chance arise that he was forced to participate against his will in a sham interview that would be seen worldwide as part of a propaganda campaign, he could – and pay attention to this part – he could, unbeknownst to his captors, use this “morse code” to surreptitiously blink an encoded hidden message to Allied forces to reveal any horrible, ongoing mistreatment in violation of the Geneva Conventions.

11 Likes

Yeah right; the next thing your gonna tell me is that one of these guys gets elected to the US Senate or some other looney story.

Seems pretty unlikely. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

4 Likes

That’s exactly what I was going to say. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

If you are truly gone Grendel; I hope that you fare well.

6 Likes

Take care, and have a good life.

1 Like

Sorry if your being facetious and I’m too dense to get it, I never was accused of being intelligent…

But if you’re actually wondering, Morse code is probably the simplest widely-recognized form of remote communication and is a good skill to have in a pinch.
For instance, it’s far easier to cobble together a radio apparatus that communicates with beeps than it is to build a device that can transmit a voice communication.
Morse code can also be transmitted visually with a light or mirror. Or by touch for that matter, if you’re in the spy business.

And it’s simple to learn so it’s not like it requires a large investment of time.

And if none of that appeals to your 21st-century mindset, then it’s darn good fun despite it’s primitive simplicity. Kinda like yoyoing. :slight_smile:

Ivan

7 Likes

I have a semi bright question…. I’ve been practicing… Here goes>

What does learning Morse Code have to do with saying farewell to the yo-yo forum?

That would be like me saying, ‘Well guys, it’s been fun but I have decided to learn how to speak Spanish. So obviously I will not have ‘any time’ left to visit the board regularly.

And then once I totally learn to speak Fluent Spanish, I’m going to move to Mexico and go off the grid. Then I will learn Morse code.

Once I learn Morse code I will no longer have time to speak to my new Spanish friends, sadly.

Oh, an epiphany….:scream_cat:

I’ve just decided to get my great Grandpas’ Pyramid blueprints and build a full scale Pyramid in my large backyard. So, I will be very busy for the next 1100 years.

No time left for the forum… miss you all….

Farewell cruel World.

I’m outta here….

Regardless…. Grendel is a good guy and I know we all wish him the best…

8 Likes

… .-. .-. .-… .-…/-… ./-… .—.-. -.-

8 Likes

Well it could be worse. Note that he never said he was gonna stop throwing! Just that he’d have less time for the forums.

So he’ll be back.

They all come back.

Ivan

2 Likes

Beautiful bug! It is a treasure!

When learning code, use it from every direction all of the time. When you see a road sign, for example, convert it to code in your head. Just think code often and it will come.

72, de Jeff WD4ET
A qrp fan. :wink:

4 Likes

Isn’t is 73 :thinking:

Anyone else at HAMCATION in Orlando?

4 Likes

72 is 73 for QRP. :wink:

1 Like

Cool! I didn’t know that

3 Likes

I used to go to Hamcation every year. I live in Jacksonville for most of my life. It was like Dayton on a smaller scale. I’m now in Texas and it is difficult to travel. You have a very nice camping rig.

Enjoy!

1 Like

It is my buddies camper… I am still broke :joy:

2 Likes