Give your yo-yo a blast finish using your dryer

I’d love to see a comparison of both. :+1: Sand would probably give a nicer finish, but I don’t know if it’d work using the dryer method.

Edit: How do finishes like these on titanium fare with torching? It’d be sweet to get the best of both worlds, but idk how it’d end up.

2 Likes

I don’t think sand will do much outside of a blasting cabinet.

4 Likes

What if it was the bright gravel AND sand? Like the sand wouldn’t have enough mass to affect a finish, but with the gravel in there pushing it around … Maybe? Idfk I ain’t no sign-tist.

3 Likes

A combination could work… I’d really like to see it done :nerd_face:

1 Like

Also how important is this part? I was just gonna throw it in the normal load…

2 Likes

It might melt your plastic container. Dryers get pretty hot!!

2 Likes

I was planning on using an old nalgene bottle, so… I think it would be fine

Ladies Love My Cool Aquatic Substrate

I got the smallest kind, because I feel no-water and smaller is gonna work best. Let’s SCIENCE THIS

Ingredients:

• LLMCAS (per above)
  • small-ish plastic container
  • junk bearing, junk pads (to protect the interior of the yoyo) inserted into container as fully assembled yo-yo

I’ll wrap this in a couple layers of towels and throw in in the dryer on “no heat, tumble only” tomorrow but for now I’m manually shaking the crap out of it for a bit to make sure the bottle is secure and to see what happens.

9 Likes

11 Likes

Already got like a post apocalyptic look to it. Nice.

3 Likes

You’re gonna have a piece of ancient Roman bronze when it’s done!

8 Likes

6 Likes

hmmm, wonder if this would work with plastics

Seems like if it works with Ti, it would gouge plastic. you make NEED to use sand in the case of plastic to prevent deep scoring. But again,

3 Likes

It is running now! I wrapped the container in two towels with a bit of tape and it is surprisingly not that loud in the dryer. On tumble only no heat of course.

EDIT: ok, this experiment is kind of a fail. It tumbled for 100 minutes and mostly it… polished… the yo-yo. So these rocks are definitely too small, my theory was wrong. Sand would be even worse presumably

4 Likes

Phase two!

State before (kinda polished based on the last run, very small rocks was not a good idea, sand is out of the question)

Larger acquarium rocks

edit: first hour in the dryer… definitely looking more scratchy, but nowhere near the first post. I’m going to try lightly moistening the rocks and see if that helps for the next hour of tumblin’

11 Likes

Next hour with damp rocks

Rim areas looking pretty good, actually!

The problem is the rocks aren’t really getting to the cups, or closer in to the response area… really at all.

I’m thinking using an assembled yo-yo here isn’t the best way because the shape prevents the rocks from really getting all over. So for phase three, I’m gonna do each half individually in the container, no silicone pads, no axle, just the halves… for one hour each half.

I don’t feel there’s going to be any damage to silicone pad areas or axle hole if they are left unprotected, the rocks are wayyy too big to get into those crevices.

10 Likes

I saw a hot glue idea which I think would work great for masking off the pad area and axle hole but seems potentially difficult to get out of axle hole. I agree your substrate shouldn’t impact axle hole and honestly roughing up the response pad area shouldn’t hurt anything.

Thanks for sharing this experiment Jeff it’s really interesting to see the results!

4 Likes

Final result

My protips™ are

• use uncolored “normal” sized aquarium rocks.*
  • make them damp before each run, that does seem to work better
  • strip each half and tumble it independently
  • don’t worry about the rocks damaging the axle hole, silicone pad areas etc, it’s not gonna happen, the rocks are too big to really get in there anyways. Titanium is ruff and tuff. Simple is better.
  • pick a plastic water tight container that’s not too big as it’ll be easier to run in the dryer, but make sure it’s large enough for the side to roll around a bit in the rocks
  • tape the container shut and wrap it in a couple towels, it’s surprisingly not that loud in the dryer but you DEFINITELY don’t want any water (or anything else) leaking out in your dryer
  • you’ll want to tumble at least an hour per side, possibly even 2 hours per side

You will end up with a “worn denim jeans” kinda burnished look if that’s what you are shooting for. Less shiny, more textured.

* Colored rocks will also work but you’ll be shedding a lot of color between runs :wink:

8 Likes

3 questions-

1. Any vibe now?
  2. Better or worse at grinds now than the black finish?
  3. Will you do this to a non heat treated one?Kinda hard to appreciate the difference in finish with the bronzing.

Thanks for the Science!

1 Like