Funny yoyo memes

In some ways I feel it can be true. The performance boost from, say, a YYF Arrow with a full C bearing to even a decent monometal provides you the stability and increased spin power to do more tricks that might not even be feasible on the cheaper yo. That being said, admittedly, there’s nothing that a relatively mid-priced yoyo like the Monarch can’t do that a Ti yoyo can.

1 Like

expensive yoyo dont make you a better player
but cheap yoyo make you a worse player :melting_face:

8 Likes

Eh I don’t know…I think I’m going to disagree. Imo, using cheap yoyos just shows how good you actually are. Here is my reasoning—lots of expensive yoyos are really good. Using only really good yoyos allows sloppy play without repercussions. Lots of cheap yoyos are definitely within the good enough threshold for my skill level and trick set also like I’ve been loving the myy N11s for 3a and they’re some of the cheapest aluminum yoyos you can get. Also 6$ yyf whip is a champ. I also think it’s just cooler to be able to do tricks with any yoyo, regardless of the price or how good it is. That being said, I love expensive and really good yoyos lol!

11 Likes

I was going to chime in on the when to buy a bi-metal thread to say something related. I agree with your statement, and it’s exactly the reason I do not buy bi-metals yet at my level. In the fairly recent past I had gone from using a few plastics to buying a few monometals, and ended up owning a couple that had great spin times and stability. Shortly after, I felt like I was actually playing worse, and I concluded that it was at least in part due to the better yoyo’s being more forgiving of bad technique, which allowed me to get lazy about paying enough attention to technique.

Edit: This is more for the other thread than this one, but a second reason not to buy a bi before getting more skill is that the steel rims on some can be pretty unforgiving.

4 Likes

You seriously just reminded me I have an extra bearing laying around from when I stripped my valley that I can pop in my whip!

6 Likes

I think it’s helpful when learning a trick (IE the motion a trick requires) to use a longer spinning more stable yoyo but refining that movement requires using less spin time, thinner, or smaller yo-yos and repetition to build that muscle memory. A Bimetal or hybrid might make you “lazy” but sometimes yoyo is about fun and chill and not about a constant grind. Then again it takes me forever to learn tricks so maybe I’m not the person to talk on this.

6 Likes

Maybe lazy wasn’t the best word to use. My point is that if the yoyo is very stable and long spinning, it may be forgiving of poor technique, and this might impede progress if it obscures bad habits which then become part of your muscle memory.

I can also agree that longer spinning can be nice for learning because it allows for more attempts. I can see value in learning the structure of the trick on a more forgiving yoyo and then perfecting the technique afterwards.

Whatever works best for the individual.

I’m a slow learner myself, and I’m fine with that. Throwing is how I relax and let go at the end of the day. It’s strictly fun for me, never a grind. I want to progress because it brings me satisfaction and because being able to go longer before binding (or winding) makes it all the more fun.

6 Likes

@faceplant WISDOM. You summed up my problem with precision.

5 Likes

I missed one like that explaining science behind yoyo’s to my science class😭

1 Like

My girl: Is that ANOTHER Klondike in that package?

Me:

19 Likes

So many Klondikes that now not only she knows the name but she even able to play horizontals!

3 Likes

You won’t believe me but I seriously almost posted something very similar yesterday :joy::skull:

2 Likes

Me: in my groove this morning, hitting everything I know clean and smooth

My gf: What are you listening to in your earbuds? Must be helping or something

Me:

10 Likes

me when barber:

1 Like

Don’t forget to moisturize!

14 Likes

21 Likes

Yeah hands are already getting dry wife’s already turning the heat on. Maybe I’ll try yoyo gloves…

4 Likes

I feel personally attaxked

1 Like

I moisturize and I wear gloves whenever I go outside once it gets colder. As a keyboard cowboy, keeping my hands in good shape is important for work too.

2 Likes

20 Likes