Free yoyo book to get you through the quarintine!

See im like the opposite! When I see emojis I always think
‘is this jabronie trying to be sarcastic or condescending?!’ Lol.

3 Likes

Yay! I’m gonna read it right away! Thank you!

2 Likes

I am 3/4 done. I am LOVING it.
@MrYoyoThrower

Woohoo!

1 Like

Read your book this morning and gleaned my money’s worth ten times over! Bought it because my venture looking at the modern yo-yo began only a few months ago and I want a good 1-A yo-yo. Any suggestions besides the physical dimensions listed in the book? (Any brand.). Been watching beginner yo-yo ing videos on this forum and Andrew Boulay (sp?) makes it look easy. Time to give it a try.

2 Likes
  1. I’m so glad you enjoyed it! I’d appreciate a review on amazon if you have a moment.

2. My first question is Responsive or Unresponsive? The Rain City $ is a good budget friendly ($30-$40) starter that’s good for both, but I can’t link it here as yoyoexpert doesn’t carry it.
    The Recess first base is a good all around starter as well (also good for responsive or unresponsive).

ONce you hit unresponsive. There aren’t many bad yoyos. My advice is to keep your budget reasonable (under $50) and try a bunch of different shapes and weights to see what you like. The Rain City Author is a lightweight yoyo at 56g, but is stable and easy to use.

If you look at the chapter in my book on the making of the Ducc, there are 5 basic shapes. Try getting your hands on throws that fit one of each.

2 Likes

Thank you for the response. I used a very little speck of info from your book to be able to say “1-A”. And I suppose I better start out with “responsive”. As for size I tried a couple and first found a Confusion to be better than any larger size. Then trying a DV888 liked the “caught” feel best and was able to throw it better because of the little wider “V” shape.
This does get me into the ball park so now wanting to actually buy one. Maybe I have found the best at this time but am wondering if I should look further now or go with a DV888 until I get a ton more experience.

1 Like

BTW - put a five star review on Amazon!

1 Like

DV888 is sort of okay but I would keep practicing responsive or go with @MrYoyoThrower advice or a get Magicyoyo Node (under $20) and start practicing unresponsive RIGHT AWAY) I avoided it for 2 years and I am sorry I did. Yoyoing is 100x more fun for me!!! With unresponsive you get sooooo much spin time for your throw!

2 Likes

Very interesting suggestion about learning “unresponsive” play. I was looking on Amazon to buy my own DV888 and saw a gold one there with a sentence in the description about learning to throw it as “responsive” first and then buying a wide concave bearing to change it to “unresponsive”. Sort of two yo-yos in one. Bet that could be done on other “responsive” yo-yos too. Gotta be frugal these days.

1 Like

Responsive yoyos, or most anyway, have a shorter axle that will not accommodate a wider bearing.

1 Like

The DV888 is a…yoyo. It works. That’s all that needs to be said about that.

Send me an email, I can link you to a bunch of options for budget friendly beginner aluminum yoyos.

3 Likes

I just bought the Kindle version I am excited to read this. Thank you!

2 Likes

Wonderful!

3 Likes

For a laugh, you all downloaded enough copies to make a an Amazon Bestseller for a day!
Under Toymaking, in the free section, where there were 8 other books.
So more an amusing novelty than anything else, lol.

11 Likes

Got one! Thank you kindly.

You are very welcome!

2 Likes

Just finished reading this. Very enjoyable and informative book. Thank you for making it free!!! Review has been submitted. :metal::metal:

2 Likes

You rock, thank you so much!

2 Likes

Great read! Thank you so much for making this available. Btw, got the new Loonie and I gotta say it’s hard to not grin from ear to ear while I’m playing with it. Super challenging and super fun! You got a fan in this guy!

2 Likes