Does sloppy play matter if no one is watching?

I feel like a good-natured debate this morning.

So does playing sloppy and unsmooth really that bad if you have zero intention to play in front of others (including videos)?

What prompted the question is I put together a combo. When throwing, it feels fun and I enjoy doing it. I wanted to see what it looked like so I recorded myself and man was it cringy.

I have zero goals to play for others and I have zero ambition to be a video star. So I say play like no one is watching. :grin:

12 Likes

Well, I play the way I like, even if that’s for a video.
I’m not pro, so I don’t care. Hahahahah

I like watching others playing, and when the video isnt edited I think that’s even better. I can learn from the same mistakes. That’s why I love:

You can learn, share and have fun.:+1:

4 Likes

I’ll agree the most important thing is to play and throw so you yourself enjoy… but if you want to improve and get more difficult tricks under your belt you probably have to practice playing cleaner. I also think it’s a good idea to watch yourself, so video yourself and just watching it on your own is a great idea. As you practice more and repeat the combo over and over you will naturally get smoother and have better flow.

9 Likes

only if it bothers you to a personal level tbh.

Or if it hinders your ability to progress in any manner.

If any of the scenarios above is true, then yeah. Practice to minimize sloppiness as much as you can.

11 Likes

Yeah, that’s real. Despite playing for fun, sometimes technique and attention is needed to accomplish a trick. So sloppy play must be avoided. I meant “playing for fun”, it is really different from “sloppy”, the last one will give you a yoyo in the face. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Can’t remember the exact way the saying goes, but something like “Practice what you want to get good at.” So if you want to get smooth only practice playing smoothly. If it starts getting sloppy, stop and correct it. So it’s up to you what you want to get out of your playing. Eventually things will become habit and routine, so if you continue to play sloppy it’ll become your norm.

14 Likes

This is like a deep philosophical question akin to:
“If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it, does it make a sound?”

9 Likes

Always try to play smooth. It takes a lot of time. If you feel yourself getting sloppy try to figure why and correct it. Don’t put unecessary stress and pressure on yourself to play perfect as yoyos are just toys but try to smooth things out and those toys will end up being more fun.

10 Likes

Does sloppy eating matter if no one is watching?

8 Likes

I had the opposite experience. My play feels (and is) clunky and I screw up a lot, but when I watch the video it still looks pretty cool.

I like to play in public to entertain people so looking good is important to me. It’s hard to maintain flair while picking knots out of my string but I still try.

Ivan

6 Likes

I’m with AaronW, practice the way you want to play. That said, if you are happy playing sloppy, play how you are happy. There really is no right or wrong answer, aside from play in the way that lets you have fun.

8 Likes

Know your goals and throw with that purpose in mind. However, if your goals change from nonchalant and sloppy to smooth and accurate, you will need to overcome bad habits. Habits are so easy to change. Right? :wink:

8 Likes

Right, reinforcing bad habits. It reminds me of piano/keyboard… if you keep using inefficient fingering, it will become your “go–to” but there was a more efficient way you missed out on… and it will never be as smooth. Unless-you gave the “right” way a good go, and went down your own path.

6 Likes

Like so many hidden bad habits that people have. What makes us ashamed of some habits and proud of others.

1 Like

I took golf as a gym class in college. I remember the coach saying she loved having students that had no prior experience with golf because she didn’t have to break them of their bad habits.

When does a “bad habit” just actually be a particular style?

2 Likes

Speed and flow in yoyo really do it for me personally. If my tricks flow together it’s almost like a cool dance or art form or some ■■■■… that said just do what makes you happy man :). You’ll undoubtedly get better with time so if you are “sloppy” I can’t imagine it stays that way for long!

4 Likes

I think there is a difference between ‘lazy sloppy’ and the sloppy you get when pushing yourself. Lazy sloppy matters because like mentioned, you can develop bad habits (consistency will see a drop, and to me this is important). The sloppiness of pushing yourself just means that you are learning what you need to practice. So in that sense, sloppy play is fine.

5 Likes

Muscle memory….

I remember decades ago when Bowling was ‘big’ a guy once told me, ‘I’m always sloppy when I’m warming up. But once the game starts, I try harder to make strikes’.

He literally ‘forged his form’ and never did achieve a very high level of scoring skills.
He unintentionally conditioned himself to be ‘sloppy’. Once certain things are engrained into your brain, it’s like a tattoo> it’s there for life.

Whether people are watching you or not, you cannot develop good form if you practice with bad form.

If you are determined to get better, you will make the effort to play with a cleaner more coordinated style.

If you have a lazy mind and little initiative to actually get better and look good doing it, you won’t.

You will just be the sloppy guy that can do sloppy tricks.

8 Likes

If a sloppy tree falls in a smooth forest and no yoyoer is around to throw a fresh horizontal banger…I forgot where I was going with this.

16 Likes

I do agree with this in team sports, sports played on a course or tracks. Playing sloppy hurts the team or could even cause injury to others.

To me, yoyoing is a very personal activity. Landing the trick feels great. Being judged on form ruins all that. I have done many hobbies where judgment is a key part of the hobby. It’s nice to have one where I can just be.

3 Likes