Does dinging really make a yoyo vibe?

Not even the slightest bit of fingernail vibe?

Not really, no… I was quite surprised. Beating the heck out of the rim, detached from the yo-yo, does effectively nothing.

I guess that kind of makes sense

Sort of. If you believed, like I did, that very minor weight differences or shape differences in each half of the yo-yo could cause vibe… then this experiment would have proven that.

It did not.

Clearly even major differences in weight and shape don’t matter much at all for vibe… you can test this yourself, take the two most different shaped / weight yo-yos you own, screw them apart, then create a Frankenstein Monster yo-yo with two radically different weight and size halves. Throw it and see what happens.

It will be glassy smooth, zero vibe.

(I still believe major density differences in the material can cause vibe, but you can only get that with wood or bad plastics.)

2 Likes

Now this is EXACTLY why I absolutely love bi-metal styled monometals with raw rims

Very hard to see visible damage from dings

1 Like

When you Ding it just a bit of material ia removed. A yoyo is 65g. The ding is not big enough to make a yoyo vibe itself. Even if there are a lot

Well. Every ding will cause a very bit of vibe. But it is unoticiable for us even for the fingernail test. The vibe we are talking about is due to damages in axle/bearing seat as you said.