Do Damascus steel yoyos exist?

I know that they would be rare and expensive, but are there any yoyos, mono or bimetal, that feature Damascus steel? If not, that would be rad for a bimetal’s rim. Just… don’t dent it lolol

1 Like

I’m fairly certain that yoyofriends made the only Damascus yoyo in existence. It’s sold out, but they still have pictures and a description up on their site.

3 Likes

Unsurprisingly it costs nearly 500 bucks. I wonder if anyone on here has one

1 Like

It cost 650 for the presale and 800 retail. The $450 option is for presale purchasers to “pay off” their yoyos. I’d never spend this much on one or two yoyos, but it’s worth noting that it did come with a moon rock/Al version in addition to the Damascus version.

3 Likes

Just saying… the Anglam Zero CC edition that costs 969.99 on the YYE store is sold out too. You only got one yoyo with that deal. But I totally agree that anything above 500 bucks begins to become like excessive to pay for any yo, regardless of material. I understand that materials like Ti are hard to work but when other high-performance yos are “only” 350 or so and offer probably the same experience i feel like they’re making it expensive just to make it exclusive ya know. That also being said you are practically buying something made within the same precision tolerances as literal spacecraft so they are definitely expensive for a reason.

1 Like

The material is hella expensive and it cost a lot of time and money for the R&D to figure out how to get it done. Any yoyo past like 30 bucks you’re not paying for more performance, just different materials/manufacturing/time spent on R&D.

I really don’t think they’re raising the price just to be more limited/collectible. If a single person purchased this expecting to get some kind of peak performance out of a yoyo I’d genuinely be shocked. People who picked one up did so just because it’s cool that it exists.

6 Likes

It’s not just the price of materials. My understanding is they had to do a lot of prototyping and develop some altogether new processes to make that yoyo.
All of that factors into the cost, too.
If you’re just recreating a well-known and fully developed process, it doesn’t cost nearly so much to get started as treading new ground.

Note that I’m not suggesting in any way that the price is or isn’t justified. Only that there’s more to it than just materials processing.

Edit: :ninja:'ed

3 Likes

Fair enough. I totally understand that. I also understand to an extent the level of R&D that goes into yo production, not personally, but just from watching Brandon Vu videos and the like. It’s easy to get why yos quickly get over 100 bucks and I feel that even then some producers could still charge more, especially for smaller companies. My point was made for yos like the aforementioned Anglam where it is like absurdly expensive. Even then your point is valid

2 Likes

Something is more geared towards fashion/hypebeasts than yoyo players tbh.

1 Like

Honestly you would know that better than I. I just like C3 and I kinda know how to do some tricks. The more I talk to you the more it seems like I’m talking to someone who either is in contention for world champion or has been world champion at yoing at some point

1 Like

Noooo, I’m still pretty new to yoyo lol. I’m like an intermediate player at best. I just think the tools of the craft and the thought/design that goes into the creation of physical yoyos is equally as cool as the personal expression that goes into trick creation.

7 Likes

I mean they are literally gyroscopes on strings that are beautifully designed. The amount of consideration that is done in how the physics of the yo works is freaking amazing. Even achieving the basics of having a yo without inherent vibe is kinda mind-blowing

4 Likes