DM2 Snaggy

Mine is pretty new. I have tried rubbing the halves on my jeans to wear down the response pads but it does not seem to be working well. A couple of tricks I am working on I cannot work out on the DM2 because it is snaggy in spots. It does it like 95% of the time in the first step of Re-cycle. Today it was Ninja Vanish and after the 3rd knuckle dinger I just switched over to the Whip then on to the Dang.

Is there any other method to wear down the pads more? I don’t really want to sili it yet.

Maybe it’s the bearing? Just keep playing it more to break it in. Clean the bearing out using mineral spirits and then run it dry for a while.

1 Like

I have already worked over the bearing. It’s fine. I can watch on the N.V. and see the string getting pulled in. The Dangs pads were snaggy at first on the Re-Cycle at the same part. I wore them down and it goes through with no problem.

If the chance it is the bearing, I can test tomorrow afternoon. My 10 balls should be in which one will reside in it anyways.

Not much you can do to fix that. The little lips go over the bearing a bit.

1 Like

So basically just keep playing and wear it down naturally then, unless I want to sili?

Good plan. Then you can break in your 10 Ball and start the process over again.

Other than that, just play it and wear it down until the response is just under the recess or else yank them out and silicone the yoyo.

1 Like

Throw a sleeper. Jerk the yo-yo straight up about a foot or so. Watch the string. If it begins to wrap around the bearing that’s a good indication it’s the bearing being a bit responsive. My preference is to clean my bearings and play them with no lube at all. When I pop a yo-yo up as described the string does nothing (if that makes sense).

1 Like

Yea. I did that before and after the cleaning. Tug responsiveness is gone. With the Dang, I had to play out the response pads a bit. Its fine now. Just the DM2 seems to be taking longer to get out of that and I believe it is the pads are not worn down enough. Those are to only 2 tricks in my limited bag that it does it on. I oil with V4m and just barely a quarter of a drop…maybe at that.

Let me drop in my Dang bearing and try… just for giggles. Be right back.

Still snaggy with the Dangs 10 ball. Guess I will just have to wear out the pads naturally or try to think of some way to wear them down by other means.

Didn’t people take one pad out of the FHZ so it would be less responsive. I might try that tomorrow.

Yes a lot of people play FHZs that way.

On the DM2, I’m going to ask the obvious - are you using the speed bearing or the narrow bearing? Did you relube the bearing after cleaning it? Keep in mind that the major contributor to a yoyo’s responsiveness is due to the bearing, not the pads, o-rings, or other type of response.

Speed and Lubed. I just switched out to a 10 ball and it is still doing it. So, known good bearing from a yoyo that is rolling good placed in the DM2. Still snagging. What is the next logical suspect? I would say the response.

When I pop up into Ninja Vanish, if it lands on the string properly, thats when I have a little slack of 2 strings in the gap. Thats when it does it… not on the tug up.

On recycle, land the double or nothing, swing up into the top string… over the nth all the way around (under) and over the throw hand <— I get over the throw hand an land with maybe 3 strings in the gap and thats the snag point.

It works fine with Kwijibo and the other stuff I practice… just those 2 tricks it does it with.

Just to follow up. Last night I yanked out the rings and siliconed it. I did a little creative cutting on a business card so I could recess the silicone by riding on the plastic lip protecting the bearing. Today I strung it up and while it was still new silicone, it worked.

So apparently the pads just were not worn in enough or were just a little high and any slack in the string would get grabbed up. I can get through the 2 tricks where I had problems at now. Can’t wait for the silicone to really get broken in.

Well, it sounds like you’ve made good progress.

Also, have you de-shielded the bearing, cleaned it out completely, very lightly lubed it and then put the shields back on the bearing before replacing it in the yoyo?

I’ve got so many yoyos right now I’m finding I’m constantly breaking in bearings. Even so, I keep going back to my dead responsive DM2 anyways. It’s my all time favorite!

I got a 10 ball that I am breaking in …in it. Got all 5 of those 10 balls in something. 2 already went through the loud phase, cleaning and lubing. 3 more to go.

I got one in a Whip… man it is really fun now. That thing has some speed to it’s R.P.M.'s