Crazy yoyo facts

What are some crazy/shocking yoyo related facts?

5 Likes

Fact 1: I still have all my front teeth after three months of learning! :smiley:

Seriously though, I’m curious to follow this thread and see what interesting things pop up.

Ivan

5 Likes

Daniel Volk created national yoyo day, and a few sources say that he thought Donald Duncan Sr.'s Birthday was June 6, but instead it was June 8.

10 Likes

(Correct me if I’m wrong)
The Shutter was the cheapest metal yoyo in history to win the wyyc coming in at 45 usd. In most recent times the Duncan Barracuda would tie the shutter for cheapest metal to win but in 2013 when it first won it was substantially more expensive selling for around 100 usd. Not to mention the 2nd cheapest in history (you probably guessed it) is the shutter wide angle.

5 Likes

Ever since unresponsive yoyos became mainstream and the first one was used to win the wyyc (in 2003 I believe), only 2 bi-metals have ever won the contest.

7 Likes

Are the two bimetals the Edge Beyond and the Phaser?

3 Likes

Edge Beyond and Anglam

3 Likes

I just researched the Sleipnir and it seems to be a monometal. Can you share a link of your bimetal Slipnear please

1 Like

My bad, I should have made it clear I’m talking about 1a only.

2 Likes

Thank you for double checking all my information. I was wrong, it was the edge beyond and anglam not Sleipnir

2 Likes

I believe in 2013 when it was used to win, it cost more like $95.

Could be wrong though.

4 Likes

I don’t doubt that. Duncan has it listed for 45 usd but yo tricks has it listed for a little over 100 usd, and that product page was WAYY older. So I think your right. I will edit my post, thank you for the info.

4 Likes

Fun fact: In a video someone posted here Jensen Kimmet used lip balm on the axle loop of his fixed axle yoyo. Is that common practice @edhaponik ?

1 Like

Actually, that Duncan post is the newer version of the Barracuda which is much cheaper at 45 usd, the original which yo tricks had posted was the original back in 2013 when it was way more expensive.

1 Like

6 Likes

P.s. if you don’t have the mcdonalds app your missing out! :rofl:

2 Likes

Kinda. In the old days when JK was starting up, Proyo and Russell axles were super rough and a lot of players would “cure” them using stuff like Vaseline Intensive Care lip therapy. Others would use similar stuff or wax on the string to make the axles more smooth/even/predictable. TK birch axles we’re way smoother and really didn’t require more break-in than the with the string itself and modern walnut axles like TMBR/Hildy/Gates/Spinworthy really don’t need it IMO, but some players still swear by it.

12 Likes

Always thought it was THEE oldest toy. I guess the doll is older, interesting :thinking:

1 Like

the orville shrub was considered the smallest production, largest prototype yoyo. in 1998 william orville produced 18 prototypes, all of varying dimesnsions made of plastic and aluminum, but only a final 3-piece run of the shrub. though a mediocre player, it is rare in its own right in both its production and prototyping, and an early example of small scale hybrid yoyo production

4 Likes

A modern yoyo can spin over 10000 rpm. Always thought that was pretty cool with just the power from your wrist.

8 Likes