Contest thoughts: An idea

Something on my mind today.
In many other competition scenes I’ve seen a practice where the champion of that years contest becomes a judge for the next year’s contest. They then can enter the competition for the year following and the prior winner becomes one of that next year’s judge and so on.
Usually it’s offered as a choice if the champion would like to do so, but I have seen a few instances where it’s required also.

I’m wondering if any contest in yoyo history have ever adapted that into practice. And also curious how others feel about that practice.

I’ve seen it create some cool results in other scenes and pushed many people to try harder. Case in point, my own dance competition win from a regional contest in 2018. I ended up being offered the judging spot for the following year, and two of the people who I beat out the year I won came back with an even harder hitting routine and one of them got the title in fact. We are good friends and we jeer about being the judge for next year’s that we are gonna not take it easy on each other. Its been super fun and builds some nice pushing of the other to advance.

In a quote from a fellow dancer who I look up to a lot, he loves the chance to judge as it’s a way to put his skills to a different test and a sign of respect to those who have amazing skills he might have beat before to let them have a time to shine.

Really it’s a lot of mutual respect going back and forth.

Thoughts on this sort of thing?

2 Likes