Contest Scoring and the Future of Yo-Yoing

^ absolutely

tbh this is the same debate that people have been having for the past seven years or so (as far as I can recall) personally I miss the old school tech that we used to see and I am excited to see more of it around. Everybody has their preferences and for me some of the least enjoyable freestyles were when everyone started trying to rip off John Ando’s style and all you ever saw were body tricks. The system is the way it is for a reason, it works. If you focus too much on the performance then the technical aspect suffers, if you focus too much on the technical then the artistic suffers. There is a balance but honestly to cater to people who like it there could be a “flow” division focused namely on style and smoothness.

I’m with you all up until the last thought…
Just because its different, dosen’t mean it would be better to separate.
This is what makes 1a so unique. All other divisions have somewhat of a similarity with each performance, but 1a is where people can express tricks through speed, slack, tech, flow, and even double dragon!
Making a desperate division for one would seperate the entire 1a scene into different sectors, making it kind of subjective, and not being able to say who the “best 1a player” of the year was. Who knows if “1a” would even still be a thing? It could change to FlowA, or SpeedA, making each division smaller, and less competitive.

In most contests you’re allowed to compete in more than one division, so rather than getting less competitive, it would give the newer players (for a little while) a chance to win a division (the “flowA”), and the experienced could still win 1a.

FlowA? Are you serious. That would give speedy players a huge advantage given that they are the flowiest players out there. Without speed, flow is impossible. It’s physics.

I don’t think Double Dragon counts as 1a. Eventually it will/should become another division.

Hey may not have gotten accepted, but he was able to do a demo with a few other people, which he probably thought was just as good.

Not necessarily, Aaron Davis is a slow, techy player and in my opinion I think he has one of the flowiest styles I’ve ever seen. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HE_qAlV1Jp4&list=UUwOu8Q3LWm06WNB5fo5Pcnw

1 Like

Well, he actually does go kind of fast.

He does have some nice flow. But he looked pretty fast except for the slow motion :wink: but that doesn’t count. (Is he sponsered by clyw?)

1 Like

Yeah he’s sponsored by CLYW but I meant that he doesn’t go as fast as Japanese players.

That is true, and that means he doesn’t have as much flow.

just because someone is fast dosent mean they have a stupid amount of flow. I know players that have speed and tech/artsy style to their throwing but most of what i see with speed is a lot of simple tricks put into a configuration that looks good and goes fast. Dont get me wrong there are some great fast players out there but they are rare and most of the others are just sort of generic and unimpressive. To me Aaron Davis dosent go to fast but at the same time his flow is off the charts and just because he dosent reach the speeds of the speed oriented players dosent mean that he dosent have more flow that A LOT of them…

And there are slow players out there that look unoriginal and unimpressive. What you said says nothing. Check out Izuru hasumi. He is incredibly fast and incredibly slow. He knows how to time it with the music and with peoples emotions. I see a lot of people just throw tech together and you expect me to call that flowy. A combo must have a logical order of elements or it will look…well…disconnected. This says nothing about what I think of Aaron Davis. That video was neat.

By that logic, this freestyle wouldn’t have any “flow.” Which is clearly not true, considering it’s one of (if not THE) best and most fluid freestyles that has ever been performed. Raw speed does not equal flow, they are hardly even related at all. Flow is about matching trick tempo to music and body motions in a natural manner.

Therefore, as long as a trick matches the music and the body, it has flow. You said it yourself.

Now you say that if a trick has raw speed, it does not have flow.

Your comment was either nonparallel or contradictory.

Now, do you care to explain why “raw speed does not equal flow” even if the trick matches the music and the body.

This is probably sounding harsh, but I’m just trying to understand what you are saying. :slight_smile:

No, no, no. He’s saying raw speed does not cause flow.

Oh, that what he meant to say?

Lol

I don’t think that is what he said. He said raw speed does not equal flow. To break it down, just doing tricks as quickly as you can does note equate to good flow. Does not equal is not the same as does not have?

Also of note is the comment raw speed. That would imply that it was in organized or structured. If it is organized and structured it could have flow, but in its raw state speed would not immediately equal flow. There is the possibility that raw speed may accidentally line up with body movement, music and performance. In that case raw speed would have flow, but still not equal flow.

At least that’s how I understand it. I happen to agree that raw speed is not equal flow.