Cake’s String Reviews

aiming for a current review next week, here’s backlog #3 from March!

Zipline CS118 Easter Edition || C (76/100)

It’s very soft, like a super nice smooth blanket, so keep that in mind if you don’t want a smooth blanket texture for your string. I think my main problem with this is that it feels amazing, looks amazing, but plays decent. It works, you can adjust to it, but it’s not very performance-oriented. Whips felt well-paced, but that fast pace combined with the floppy nature of the string to make slacks that didn’t hold shape too well. The floppiness (probably stemming from both the material blend and the dull tension holding) also lowered the consistency score. Slacks did start to improve later, but by then it was the hour. The thickness was questionable, and most of the time it was too thick for my taste (Alphaline). I put it on a recessed flowable yoyo and it was perfect, so everything’s fine as long as you pick the right yoyo for it. Whether this is a good quality in a string is up to y’all, but i say a questionable no.

It makes me REALLY sad that this string wasn’t amazing, since I love the colors of it. I guess that’s the point of Zipline Case Studies, there’s always room for improvement. If you don’t mind a long break-in for decent poly, i see no problems. Maybe the casual laid back soft string is what they were going for, which i say they accomplished. Don’t put this on any competition-oriented yoyo though, the whiplash (and binds) might hurt. Stats below.

Durability 30 min (4)
Durability 1 hr (4.5)
Personal Thickness Feel (3.5)
Whip Feel Break-In (4)
Whip Feel 1 hr (4)
Slack Feel Break-In (3)
Slack Feel 1 hr (4)
Tension Hold over 1 hour overall (3.5)
Softness during break-in (4.5) SOFT, but minimal loss of texture
Overall consistency over 1 hour (3)
Total: 38 x 2 = 76, 76 = C graded based on letter system (A: 100-90, B: 89-80, C: 79-70, D: 69-60, F: 60<)

5 Likes