C3yoyodesign x W1LD - Dinosaur in the Wild

Specifications:
Diameter (mm) 57.01
Width (mm) 53.07
Weight (g) 64.5
Bearing Size C
Response System 19mm pads
Introduction

W1LD and C3yoyodesign are two of my favorite yoyo manufacturers currently on the market. Since I’ve gotten back into yoyoing, most of the new companies that have popped up haven’t really piqued my interest. W1LD has been the exception to this. I’m a huge fan of their signature wing profiles, and this combined with their unapologetically wide designs results in a design language that feels unique and fresh in what has become an unbelievably saturated market. It didn’t feel like there was very much hype/interest for this yoyo when it was initially announced, and I would say it’s been at least partially overshadowed by the release of the Adrenaline. I absolutely love collaboration yoyos, and have always been a fan of C3, but for some reason I didn’t try this when I was at Worlds. However, after reading reviews I knew I had to pull the trigger.

Specs and Pre-Throw Characteristics

The Dinosaur in the Wild sports a 6061 body with titanium rims. For $200 retail, I personally feel like springing for 7075 wouldn’t have been too much to ask but with the way the yoyo is built this probably wouldn’t have really made any difference in play. Despite the width, this yoyo is extremely comfortable in hand, and the beadblast used is extremely smooth, although the masking at the center of the catch zone goes up higher than I’d expect.

Too often I feel like companies just take two existing designs and mash them together, rather than incorporate their signature design cues into something new. The Dinosaur in the Wild unfortunately falls into this category. Reusing what appears to be the exact same rims from the Galaxy Dinosaur feels a little lazy to me, and visually I would’ve rather they been worked into the rest of the profile a little more seamlessly. Even the engraving, while still awesome, is pretty much a rehash of what we saw on the Galaxy Dinosaur. Another minor disappointment is that this yoyo uses the C3 box, which isn’t an issue but with how cool W1LD’s packaging is I would’ve preferred something more premium.

My biggest qualm with this yoyo is the durability; which, admittedly, is probably part of the cost of having such huge titanium rims. Out of the box it was dead smooth, but I’ve dropped this yoyo one time - from about 2-3 feet up onto wooden flooring while it wasn’t spinning - and there is now a small but noticeable string vibe which hasn’t been fixed by swapping the bearing/axle or pushing the rims back into place (they didn’t appear displaced but I figured it was worth a try). It’s still smooth on grinds and is overall a minor gripe but for the price it does sting to have it vibe so easily.

from left to right - W1LD Wildnerness 7075, C3 x W1LD Dinosaur in the Wild, C3 Galaxy Diver 7075 v2

Play

I feel like I’ve done a lot of complaining up to this point, but don’t get it twisted; the Dinosaur in the Wild is a treat to play with. In my opinion, it’s a direct upgrade to both the Wilderness and Galaxy Diver (I haven’t played a Galaxy Dinosaur). For those unfamiliar with either - this yoyo is extremely capable. Titanium rims have the unique ability to combine power with floatiness, and this is definitely one of the main characteristics of the Dinosaur. It’s the perfect combination of being light and easy to throw, while being supremely stable and powerful like you would expect from a competition bimetal. If you took a Hinemosu and stretched it out to 53mm wide, I’d imagine it would play very similarly to the Dinosaur in the Wild. Horizontals and large maneuvers are as easy as you would expect.

Others have remarked a sort of “initial hesitancy” to accelerate with both this yoyo and the Wilderness. While I agree it’s present, this is much less pronounced with the Dinosaur compared to the Wilderness, and overall the Dino feels more precise in its movements and plays with a little more character. My (unresearched) theory/guess for this sensation is that it’s just part of designing such large yoyos, due to the fact that their mass is spread over a larger volume and the air resistance from the larger lateral surface area of the profile.

Closing Thoughts

The Dinosaur in the Wild came with a lot of hype (AKA Gingie gave it an SS rank). Is it everything this collaboration could’ve been? I don’t think so. Could you get comparable performance at a lower cost? Definitely. However, the feeling during play of titanium rims is not something that can be replicated with stainless steel or in monometals. If this yoyo looks like something that would appeal to you, I guarantee it won’t disappoint you.

4/5

5 Likes