BobParty’s Player Profiles: Doc Pop

Up next we have Justin Dauer the 2024 National Yo-yo Champion who also has his new signature throw the “Evolve” releasing soon from Duncan!

What got you into throwing, how did you find the hobby?

I got into throwing because I saw my friend who lived down my street doing it. He let me try his and gave me a cheap one he won at a theme park. It soon broke, but then I saw a fancier Yoyofactory One while checking out to get shoes. I asked my mom and she said yes. I became addicted because it was like a real-life video game, I soon got my friends into it and I built a community that kept me going until I found the larger Yoyo community.

If you could only have one yo-yo for the rest of your life what would it be?

If I could have one yoyo for the rest of my life it would be the Evolve, it’s my signature yoyo that I used to win Nats and it just came out.

What trick are you working on currently and what is your all time favorite trick?

I am working on a lot of new wrist stuff and flow. You will see it soon.

What’s the most meaningful yoyo you have?

The most meaningful yoyo I own is the Evolve I used to win nationals, it still has the same bind as the one I had on stage, it hasn’t spun since. It’s in a glass case that I plan to never open.

What’s kind of things are you into outside of yo-yos?

I’m into riding dirtbikes, editing videos, Minecraft speedrunning with my teammate Thomas Rajan, and finding new music.

Favorite foods?

My favorite foods are Banana cream pie, Spam Musubi, and Sushi and I LOVE to drink Horchata,

Favorite movie?

My favorite movie is probably Revenge of The Sith or Cars.

What’s your favorite memory from your time in the hobby ?

My favorite Yoyo memory was getting 3rd in prelims at 2020 PNWR, I went from 24th to 11th, to 3rd. I was not expecting those jumps and I was soooo hyped.

What’s your bad yo-yo habit?

My yoyo bad habit is never measuring my string and having the loop at the base of my finger. Still works though!

If you couldn’t yo-yo what would you be doing?

If I couldn’t yoyo i’d probably be racing dirtbikes or get into cars.

Advice/ words of wisdom to new players

My advice to new players would be, don’t compare yourself to others, yoyo is about fun, don’t take competing too seriously at first, and be kind to everyone because this is a small community and things travel fast.

What you want to tell the world?

I would like the world to know that Yoyo is alive because of the community. Any contributions like running contests, hosting meets, doing demos, judging etc… are soooooo much more beneficial than you know. The future of Yoyo is dependent on what we do right now as a community.

Thanks Justin!

As always if there any questions you would like to see asked, or people you would like interviewed please let me know!!

42 Likes