Ben's Superspectacular DOUBLE review BONANZA: Speedaholic XX and Plastic Fulvia

TLDR: Opposite sides of the coin that constitutes an absolutely perfect yoyo. Buy both as they have absurd value for their price and can compete with some bimetals in performance, especially in bang for your yoing buck. Also disclaimer: I’m an intermediate player, maybe, just maybe beginning to get into advanced play. I know like 60 or so tricks but I’ve mastered only about half of them or so. Some things I find harder to do on certain yos can always be overcome with more practice and experience so remember that.

First off I just wanna thank C3 and Luftverk for making yoyos that have colorways that are unmistakably food-like. Watermelon and Milk have been very welcome additions to my collection. I also like the fact that both of these yos have their name very, very obviously apparent on them so you always know what you’re throwing.

Speedaholic XX:
This is perhaps the most fun you will ever have with a yoyo while alos having the yoyo make you feel like an absolute rookie again. For the most part this thing is impossibly poorly designed for the technical and kinda floaty style of play I prefer. Which, given the name, makes sense. I’m not surprised that a yoyo named Speedaholic is for speed combos. For anyone out there that prefers that play style over tech this yoyo is a MUST HAVE. It is completely optimized for moving fast to the point that I could literally get it to move as a blur when doing some of my favorite mount transitions (especially from trapeze to trapeze and brother slack before prepping for a Kwijibo). Just dont expect a lot of guidance from the yo when it comes to string presence. The lack of powerful feel and feedback is what prevents the yo from being greatly accessible to all play styles as it makes it hard to land even eli hops.

Overall, this yoyo is probably the most fun you will ever have with something that is nearly impossible to control, and just because it isn’t my style of yoyo doesn’t mean that it won’t be somebody else’s daily throw. Also for under 30 bucks the value is absurdly good.

Ben’s Alphabetcular Rating: S, for Speedaholic XX (also for Superior)

Plastic Fulvia:
You ever just want a yoyo that kinda just forms a psychic link with you despite being an inanimate object on a string? If so, get the Plastic Fulvia. As I mentioned in the TLDR section, the Fulvia is the opposite of the Speedaholic in many ways but is just as fun. Being more of a floaty, whip-loving, yoyo tossing type of player I prefer a stable yoyo that moves predictably. The Fulvia has this in spades. This yo purposefully plays a bit slower than most, it seems, which allows floatiness to substitute for raw power in allowing the player to feel and know how the yo is moving. A very unique way of getting bimetal-type stability without any real rim-weighting experience.

Just as the Speedaholic XX is not geared as much for tech players, the Fulvia isn’t made for speedy players. I personally have a slight preference towards this throw solely because it is more within my wheelhouse of what I’m used to, but I recognize that the preference only comes from my style of play rather than actual superiority over the XX.

Ben’s Alphabetacular Rating: S, for Stable beyond belief (also for Superior).

Hope you enjoyed and that this gives you a good insight to these two wonderful yos! I will remark that the similarity these two yos share is that they are great for finger grinds (although the XX lacks a real place for other grinds such as the Talon grind). Glassy smooth texture.

4 Likes

Interesting reviews! I don’t own either of these yet, but I do have a Plastic 000. The one thing that struck me was your description of Speedaholic XX. I was surprised because I see this yoyo recommended for new unresponsive players all the time. My feeling from reading your review is that you would not recommend this yoyo to a beginner. Is that correct?

1 Like

It’s weird because I would recommend for beginners due the agreeable price tag and also because of how hard it is to play with. It really emphasizes good technique. I feel like if I had started with this yo as opposed to getting an unresponsive bearing for my Maverick that I would know only like 2/3 the number of tricks but they would all be mastered, if that makes any sense. It also is just a blast to play with so that also helps make it fun for beginners too.

1 Like

That’s an interesting take. I was going in the opposite direction, thinking that someone new to unresponsive would need a yoyo that didn’t make their life harder, when they were just getting started. Maybe the Speedaholic would make a good second unresponsive?

1 Like

For sure it would. I think it’s just great fun.

Speedaholic is the yoyo I grab when I’m having a few drinks. I can play sloppy and not have to worry about smacking it on the floor lol

1 Like