Beginner Slack Trick Tutorials

Hey everyone! The past month I’ve really been focusing on trying to learn techy type tricks that incorporate slack and rejection elements. Some of us have been discussing it in another thread, but thought it would be fun to start a new thread to post beginner tutorials in. Just a way to consolidate it all and keep it on topic.

Here’s some I’ve been trying this past week. A few of them I’ve got, and others I’m still trying to figure out.

And this one recommended by @hsb

If anyone has some more basic beginner friendly tutorials that fit this general vibe, please share!

12 Likes

Thought I’d add this one in as well from TAW Week 27:

2 Likes

A couple rejection triangles:

These are a little harder but not too bad

6 Likes

Adding this one. It’s a bit more complicated but definitely doable. Just a few more steps than the others.

3 Likes

I’m in. Slacks scare me. Let’s get them figured out together @GnarlyCharlie

we can do it!

4 Likes

IMG_7944

4 Likes

Wow some of these are really sick and clean looking

I love slacks. They just look so clean.
I just suck at them :joy:

I’m 100% learning a couple of these fs

3 Likes

Slacks are not a monolith where they all fit together really. There are slacks like yuuki slack or cheese whip, where you’re pinching the string. There are slacks where you’re hopping the Yoyo up and whipping to make a slack while the Yoyo doesn’t have gravity to pull the slack out like hooks and other lacerations or tension hooks and rejections where the slack catches the Yoyo. Even within these categories there’s a ton of different ways mechanically that the slacks work. I just wanted to say this bc I don’t think it’s helpful to categorize all slacks together like some are so different than each other.

Generally, I think y’all should definitely not fear slacks or put them on a pedestal or anything. Lots of slacks are pretty easy and can be learned without much struggle. Usually the ones where you pinch and whip the string and can mostly ignore the Yoyo. The harder ones are where you’re not pinching and have a brief moment to form the slack and catch the Yoyo with it.

Here’s a combo with a few simpler slacks that highlights how different slacks can be. I think this first one is a great place to start for anyone intimidated by slacks. You just pinch and whip the string so that it goes under and around and back into the gap. Switches from trapeze to an undermount.

3 Likes

Keychain style slacks are also pretty beginner friendly and look cool and feel really good. This one is one of my favorites.

1 Like

I’ve gotten the first slack in Yuuki Slack (not sure if it’s called something else on its own), Trapeze Slack, and Brother Slack. These are all very easy slack tricks. I made a video but not a tutorial. There are good tutorials out for these though.

5 Likes