Bearings

I have a few, and I like them, but they perform like a typical ceramic. I can’t tell much difference between the Delta Cut and the Buddha Whipple for instance.

To the rest of the thread:

YYE has some Terrapin bearings at good prices so I’m not saying don’t buy them, but I think they’re consistently overrated by people on this forum.

I’ve tried the 3.5 minutes rolled off the hand thing with a variety of high-end yoyos and could never get close. It’s probably possible, and if it is I would bet money it’s possible to beat that record with many other bearings, but the way that claim is marketed bothers me. It suggests the X Wing is one of the longest-sleeping bearings. It’s not. It’s an average hybrid ceramic.

Wow, 3.5 minutes!!! My Ares Star and 70 grams Magnum with KK can’t even do that. I like KK the most, I have tried all the bearings, flat, kk, ceramic kk, Terrapins, gold CT,CT,10 ball CT, Ripple, and even JD’s wing cut from a place I can’t say on this forum. KK is the most consistent and the overall best performer.

You should take the 3.5 min claim with a LARGE grain of salt.

I’m not accusing the seller of lying, but it’s a very misleading claim given how people react to it.

When thrown in a yoyo, the sleeping time is unspectacular.

1 Like

Some skill required…

Yeah, you’re not dropping the yoyo hard enough!

1 Like

Meh, they’re all pretty similar. I’m not really a fan of flat bearings myself, but I’m happy with pretty much anything else. KK/trifecta/ripple/centertrac, it’s all good to me.

“Roll off hand” time is irrelevant. I’ve yet to see someone do a 3.5 minute combo even on the hardest throw. Sure if youre going off pure “hang there and spin” time then maybe some bearings may have the smallest difference, but once you start throwing string into that gap, it all comes down to how clean your play is. YOU are the biggest influence on a yoyo’s spin time.

At any rate, even most competitors in the Worlds Finals won’t be doing combos longer than 30-40 seconds, and pretty much any bearing is capable of that.

Or straight enough. Come on. You need actual pro-level skill to be able to roll a yoyo off your hand.

1 Like

What would you guys say is the quietest bearing. So far I’ve only tried the OD 10ball, ctx,ct, Buddha, spec.

I’ve found that the 10 ball is the quietest and this is important as I can’t be making a ton of noise at work. The 10 ball is also the one that requires the most maintenance and just when I get it fully unresponsive it starts to make noise again.

Any point in trying a gold ctx, cerramic, core, terrapin, or other high-end?

I don’t need competition level spin times, just quiet smooth operation witht the least amount of maintenance.

(Yes I know how to clean bearings and lube them. )

Quietest… probably lubed 10-ball. But I have a really quiet lubed Whipple right now.

Hard to say. The lube is a requirement for quiet performance, and there’s no great way to say that I’ve lubed all my bearings equally. Maybe the super quiet ones just happen to have 0.x extra millilitres of lube in them?

If we can assume that the quietest DRY bearing will continue to be the quietest lubed bearing, I might have to go with 10-ball still. My Gen-Yo AIGR was really quiet, too, though. And I had one insanely quiet NSCo “Core” bearing (and another one that made a pleasing interesting sound but which wasn’t overall silent).

I quite the Terrapin bearing I have. I plan on ordering several more, actually.

Yeah I’ve read that and I have “some skill.” A more accurate statement would be “Lots of skill + a 10 foot long string required.”

Besides, whether a bearing will sleep a long time at low rpm (as in rolled off the hand) has little to do with how long it will sleep a yoyo at high rpm.

Your marketing is pretty sketchy. Most bearings exaggerate their performance but they do it in subtler ways. You make very specific, misleading claims like "The Terrapin X Delta S/C Ten Ball Competition YoYo Bearing will outperform all others." and “This bearing will sleep a yoyo for over 3.5 minutes when simply rolled off your hand. No Throw at all!”

WOWZERs that must be a good bearing!

Oh but you claim that for ALL your bearings. Hmm…odd. Each of your bearings will outperform every other bearing? I see a little problem in logic there.

Like I said your bearings are decent but you have flat out the worst, most misleading marketing I’ve ever seen for a yoyo bearing (or anything yoyo-related I can recall).

1 Like

I’ve tried basically every bearing sold in major yoyo stores. I’d say the quietest dry is the YYF Gold CT or the NSK Gold and NSK Plats. They’re both very quiet.

Lubed I don’t really know. GregP could be right, the OD is pretty quiet but I never lubed mine.

By the way hybrid steel/ceramic bearings in general are no quieter than steel bearings. SOME of them are very quiet, SOME are very loud. The Crucial Grooved Ceramic is maybe the loudest bearing I have but it plays really well so I don’t care.

And bearings marketed as ceramics are almost always hybrid steel/ceramics with steel races and ceramic balls. Full ceramic bearings are pretty rare but they’re out there and I hope to try one soon.

P.S. can someone PM me where to find these “Core” bearings? I’ve never heard of that one.

Guess I’ll have to pony up for a ctx gold. I 've heard others say the same about them as well.

Northern spin co sells the core bearing. Ceramic balls steel cages and races

I have tried neither the gold CTX nor either of the NSKs, so I’ll defer to Shai on this one!

As far as the 3.5 minute rolled off the hand thing goes, I heard it was performed with a very stable yoyo where the “pinch the string, loosen, tighten” technique applied to keep the yoyo from tipping.

Center assist should preclude the need for techniques like that!

Yes that’s how it is done, I get over 4 min with a One Drop P2 with a TX S/C wing cut bearing.

Oh, I just tried that roll off hand thing with center assist. I got 5:01 using Auldey Magnum with KK.

^^^^

See, this is what I’m saying, his marketing claims are pure hyperbole. If you can crush his record with a $12 KK, what’s the point in spending $30 on one of his miraculous “center assist” Wing models?

The rolled off the hand claim sounds really impressive because most people don’t think about sleeping a yoyo at low rpm. BUT

A) There are lots of bearings that do this well.
B) It has little to do with overall bearing performance and is only moderately related to sleep time
C) It’s really boring to try to break “rolled off the hand” sleep records so most people have never even tried.

Terrapin Bearings are awesome, I would say this bearing is better than CTX, CT, Ripple, and JD wingcut. I also think it is equally as good as a gold CT, but the bearing doesn’t feel quiet flowy and comfortable as KK. KK ceramic and KK for me is the ultimate balance between solidness and flowy momentum. However, I wouldn’t recommend KK on fast yo-yos CT and Terrapin Wingcut series are the best for fast yo-yos like Aviator (Yes Aviator is fast) P.Wave and Anglam . KK is for all around yo-yos like Magnum, Ares Star, Barracuda, and Shutter.