Bearings flat or center trac

Favorite type of bearing flat or center trace?

1 Like

I have both along with one Konkave. I used almost all center trac due to the fact that they came with YYF yoyos. Recently I got some One Drops with flat bearings and I really like them. So much that I bought a bunch of @YoYoExpert 10 ball competition flat bearings. I am slowly swapping some of my throws with those. They are really good.

I really enjoy using DS bearings. konkave bearings are great as well. I’m not really into flat bearings. But everyone has their own preference.

1 Like

How do you make a poll

1 Like

I might experiment with a flat bearing. They live in an Altoids tin. Swapping back and forth on 1 yoyo is the best way for me. The pros /cons are more apparent.

1 Like

Center trac for me. I find flat bearings to offset the balance a tiny bit when playing. Center trac guides the string better since it doesn’t let the string go into the outer edges of the bearing.

1 Like

totally agree

Spyy yoyos played well with flat bearings. This is an apples oranges discussion, no 100% superiority of one or the other. The reputation of flat to hold wraps better does make sense, at the expense of possibly hitting the response.

3 Likes

I only use string centering bearings (grooved, center trac, and so on). Is there actually a difference? Maybe not. Do I feel like there is? Yes.

1 Like

I prefer a centering bearing. Buddha dimple or centertrac are what i use in everything. I feel like they help keep the string off the response and allow laying. Grooved, like a trifecta, and v shaped bearings work well for keeping the string away from the response but don’t layer as well for me. I don’t have the discipline and accuracy to be able to consistently get through longer combos with a flat bearing.

1 Like

I used to be in the grooved camp, but now I’ve grown to like flat bearings. Really though, I’ll play just about anything. I’m not a snob, but I did finally warm up to flat bearings

3 Likes
  • CT
  • Flat
  • KonKave
  • Crucial

0 voters

1 Like

I see no downside at all to CT bearings, only upside, so to me these replace flats. The choice between “hard” centering bearings like groove or full concave is more difficult since those involve compromises versus flat.

I only have only played with CT bearings. How different do KonKave bearings play?

I am definetely not a snob about flats either. I agree with @codinghorror, Centertrac is almost all upsides. It gives you a flat and keeps just enough pulled away from the sides. For some reason I can’t justify, flat bearings have grown on me. Most of my throws are Centertrac though.

1 Like

Honestly I’m not sure I’m good enough to tell, but the centering effect is super super strong on fully concave and groove, the string is strongly pushed to the center the whole throw.

If you’re doing tricks that need the string to be pushed over hard to the left or right side (near the response) then concave/groove would definitely work against that, all the time.

2 Likes

Look here: How do I poll? - #5 by codinghorror

1 Like

Thank you!

I tend to play with what comes in the yo-yo, but if I feel like it’s not quite playing like I want, I might experiment with another type than stock. Sometimes it makes a positive difference.

1 Like