Bearing for a Singularity?

Hey guys I just got a string theory singularity in a trade with no bearing and was wondering what is a good bearing to put in it. I have a center trac in un but I’m thinking maybe get a different kind since the center trac if from my 888x. I’m thinking maybe a 10-ball(I heard that string theory has their own) or maybe some type of grooved bearing. I just want it to be quiet because I have a couple of cheap ones at home and they are waaaay too loud and need to be cleaned so I’ll skip the hassle of a good cleaning and just buy new for now

Get a 10-ball. Quiet and smooth.

10 ball is the way to go.

Any bearing will do really, but,they ship with terrapin treated bearings so why not get one of those?

Any bearing. Bearings don’t make a huge difference if they work fine.

I kind of tend to like to start with the factory/stock bearing. Short of that, I do tend to like the Terrapin X Wing cut bearings.

If they do come with a Terrapin X in the first place, that would be an ideal place to start. When I order replacement bearings, that’s what I order.

Are they quiet? I don’t want to be playing for a week breaking it in before I can play without earplugs.

If you have to play while wearing earplugs, you have some serious sound sensitivity issues.

On a more serious note, I’ve taken the same bearing to different yoyos, and it really depends on the yoyo. The Legacy II is super quiet for example.

Of course, it also depends on the bearing too. Terrapin X are said to have “no break-in period”, and in general tend to be quiet. However, any bearing I put in my DM2, well, they all seem to make about the same amount of noise, and we’re talking measured as in “I put a decibel meter and measured A and C weighted within a distance reasonable and consistent enough to produce acceptable results” and the results were pretty much the same.

OK I might have exaggerated but you get the idea. And since it has no break in period I might buy it. I was also thinking maybe buying an OD 10-ball and try to break it in with a drill to speed it up. Is this a bad idea? It tops out at around 2200rpm

People do break bearings in that way, but I don’t recommend it. A while ago Frank from dife-yo said that if there was any dirt in the bearing it could cause the dirt to dig into the walls of the bearing; screwing it up. He also said that you can decrease the life of the bearing if you go for too long as well. Of course this was '03 so things could have changed. To be safe just clean it if you can’t stand the wait.

I’m gonna second this.

I need every excuse I can to throw and play, so if that means “I gotta put in some time to break in a bearing”, then hey, I’m gonna spend some “quality time” getting to know my new yoyo and it’s new bearing, or maybe just the new bearing. So, I suggest just throwing it to break it in.

I can’t argue the idea to clean it first, then lube to your liking or run it dry. You’ll still need to break in that new bearing. WARNING: if you do get a Terrapin X Bearing, you won’t need to lube it or clean it ever(so he says). Even though he says there’s no break-in needed, I’d still play it like I was expecting a break-in period just to be safe. My experiences have been that the bearings do not need cleaning, lube OR being broken in. They play and maintain as advertised.

I personally don’t like the idea of breaking in a bearing using drill to “Dremel it”. It’s not something I would do.