Bearing Cleaning

Can u clean more than one bearing in mineral spirits. Like can u reuse the spirits in have to clean like 5 bearings

Sure.

What I do is I use small baby food jars and fill it maybe halfway with mineral spirits. I guess I could clean out a dozen bearings before I have to replace it. I also keep it sealed(the baby food jar) so I don’t have to waste it. I don’t think I’d do more than a dozen bearings in that amount of mineral spirits. Larger containers with more spirits means longer between having to dump it.

2 Likes

what would happen if i cleaned my bearing in mineral spirits and then didn’t put thin lube on it

You can play bearings dry but they will be noisier and the bearing will wear more quickly. That doesn’t mean that it wont last for a very long time though. Some people prefer dry bearings.

I keep the same mineral spirits forever

I was cleaning a couple of quetionable bearings today. One was fine after cleaning, or at least better. The other one, after the first cleaning, it wasn’t a real improvement. I put some YYJ thin lube in it, spun it for a couple of minutes and put it back into the mineral spirits. Some black, flaky stuff came out, I think it was graphite. Since the mineral spirits were contaminated at this point for sure, I had to dump it. But, we’re talking less than 1.5 ounces, from a gallon container. That’s not too bad, considering I did get like 8 bearings cleaned before I had to dispose of it.

That bearing is spinning fantastic right now.

Ounce? Not sure how much that is, but I use a large jam jar that’s filled to the brim or as close as possible to the brim. I also never put graphite in my bearings (which used to be quite popular).

I think the previous owner of the bearing/yoyo put graphite in it. I don’t have any graphite in my house that I’m aware of.

I’m using smaller quantities so in the case of confirmed contamination, it’s less to toss. Otherwise, I’d be guaranteed having whatever that junk was possibly getting inside another bearing. Plus, I got small kids. It’s easier to lock away stuff in smaller containers.

Bet you a yoyo you do.

Yes, you can wash more than one bearing.

I think he knows if he is aware of something.

Never heard of putting graphite in a bearing before.

Oh sure, the IMG woofers in my Infinity RS3000’s, sure.

But, anything else, not as a loose powder/flake substance able to be used at my discretion as a lubricating product, I don’t. Unless I want to go grind up a pencil.

I only wash one bearing at a time so I can avoid any contamination issues, say, like what just happened to me. That way, I’ve only got one bearing to worry about at a time. The down side is it takes more time. The up-side is hopefully less waste. Otherwise, I see no problem with doing a bunch of bearings at the same time. My experience in general is to be a bit overly cautious and sometimes a bit less aggressive. It is hard to argue for my process when you could potentially wash a handful of bearings at once, dry them at once, and then just spin and blow dry them out one at a time, lube(if you want) and get the back into the yoyo(s) faster.

Speaking of patience, I need to go build 8 data cables Prioprietary end, bypass the null modem adaptor by integrating the changes, test and done. I build, test, and if not working, fix, re-test and then move on to the next one once the testing is complete.

A couple of years back it was popular. It’s a dry lubricant so some factions went nuts over it. Problem is it turns everything it touches, or that touches it, black.