Asian pops and '1.5 pops'?

Having a bit of trouble with asian pops and I don’t know what to call it other than 1.5 pops. The thing Aaron Davis does in the Ghost Rolls tutorial. Asian pops I can technically do the trick but it doesn’t look good, kinda jerky, not fluid at all. And for the 1.5 pops I can’t get them at all. For Asian I’m looking at the G2 Jake tutorial and the only bit for the 1.5 I’ve found is that Aaron Davis video. Is it just practice makes perfect or is there some neat trick I don’t know about one or both of these tricks? Please and thank you!

Asian pops is definitely something that you might just have to practice to get it smooth. I can’t seem to find the 1.5 pops video. If you could post a link, that’d be great :slight_smile:

Like I said I have no idea what they’re called, that was just the first name that came to my mind.d

I have been trying to find a video or name of the 1.5 pops forever but just can’t find either

Dang. If you end up finding anything let me know!

oh I was just watching that yesterday.
I dunno I wouldn’t think of those as pops. The key do doing them is bringing your hands a little closer together so the yoyo can move straight. Sort of like boomerang, eli hops I guess.

If you know some basic physics you can develop the correct motion for smoothly stopping the yoyo. I don’t exactly know what that motion is called but try to think of it like the effect of a 5A stall: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0-fvVhXDsA

Hope it helps. Those are definitely fun :smiley:

I sent a message to Aaron about them, and he said it was just like eli hops and to keep at it and it would eventually just click. Well, now I know what I’m going to do on my day off…

1. For Asian pops it makes it easier if you bend you pointer finger a little bit.
  2. Another word for 1.5 pops is to call them goofy pops and an easy way to do them is to have a giant loop where you NTH and TH are but have that loop on you TH really small so when you bring you hands together it gets bigger however it tale lots of practice.

I believe it the 1.5 pops are called pitch and catch.

I’ve found that the best way to practice the trick is just to throw into a 1.5 mount, and then try to execute a smooth pop (not necessarily fast, rushing the trick will mess you up) akin to the motion of an Eli hop mixed with a boomerang like someone mentioned above, right back into the 1.5 mount. No need to make it fancy when learning, and like most other tricks, it’s really just a matter of trying it 2039486524098572452045897ish times until you figure out what works for you. Good luck! :slight_smile:

1 Like