Are yo-yo video reviews useful?

And for the record, in my opinion @yomartyo puts out the best reviews.

4 Likes

As a collector of yosā€¦I like video reviews.
The only thing that kinda bugs me about the couple of youtube reviewers I watch the mostā€¦is that they seem overly hyped up about just about every single yo they review. It just bugs me a little hahaā€¦maybe Iā€™m just overly grumpy?
It just feels slightly phony or something to me. Doesnā€™t help that a lot of the times these yos were given to them for the purpose of reviews.

Donā€™t get me wrong though, I do enjoy their reviews and am glad that they make them.

1 Like

Well if you feel you donā€™t do that it doesnā€™t mean my statement was wrong. I said MOST reviewers do that, and I stand by that.

Obviously I canā€™t say ALL reviewers do that because I havenā€™t seen every review on YouTube.

I actually plan on addressing that in a review Iā€™m doing for the new YoYo Recreation throws Iā€™ve gotten. .

What I meant is the reality of what YYR and other high-end yo-yo manufacturers really are these days.

Essentially, they are luxury yo-yo companies.

@moby323 Iā€™m looking forward to the YYR reviews. Is one of them an Overdrive Draupnir by chance??

thatā€™s fair I was just pointing them out that they are out there. I just feel like at this day and age itā€™s hard to find a bad yoyo and itā€™s all based on personal opinions so something one person may despise another person may love.

Yeah but reviews donā€™t seem to reflect that. Itā€™s still ā€œyeah this a good yo-yo itā€™s smooth and sleeps longā€ instead of actually describing how it plays which would actually be useful. I appreciate that your review I watched mentioned that the yo-yo played heavy and slow and that you described your personal preferences didnā€™t match the yo-yo.

Most review channels donā€™t do that, they just say ā€œyup good yo-yo hereā€™s the specs I like the color.ā€ Which basically translates to ā€œI like getting free yo-yos so Iā€™m going to keep doing advertisements for yo-yo companies and call them reviews.ā€

Yeah, I have that as well as Anomaly and Inevitable

I enjoy watching yoyo reviews on youtube.

One issue I have is that sometimes it seems as though the only adjective US reviewers know is the word ā€˜superā€™.

ā€œThis yoyo is super stable, it is super good at grinds, it is not super good for finger spins, it is super long spinningā€¦ā€

4 Likes

not all - Lets talk yoyo.

Regarding the thread,
You probably cant really say anyone is a pro
though- you can just assume they are from the tricks they do. Most people also say someone is a pro once he does something meta, and thats not really a good way to measure a persons ability to yoyo.
For example,
Lets talk yoyo- even if he doesnt do meta much, he has a unique style and still has excellent reviews.

In conclusion- i think you should consider your level of yoyoing, and try to find people who reviews yoyos that are the same level, or near your level

Lets say you are currently on the 34th trick on the yye tricklist- maybe its a good idea to watch tokyoyoā€™s reviews or tomā€™s.

Lets say you are done with the tricklist and have been doing lots of meta tricks- watch Lorenzyo, Brandon, Lets talk yoyo, etc,

Never forget to take everything with a lil bit of salt though- some reviews may be biased.

1 Like

Iā€™m split on video reviews, however, I loved the HighSpeedYoYoReviews (http://www.highspeedyoyo.com/reviews) , however, I think they may have gone the way of the Dodo due to video reviewsā€¦or maybe Chris just got too busy with his non-yoyo life.

With reviews, I mostly watch to see what has just been released, to see what the reviewers are saying about it. Based on watching a lot of Throws and Brews and Letā€™s Talk Yoyo, by comparing what they have said about yoyos I already own, I can get a pretty good feel for what the yoyo they are describing is like.

I also can understand any reviewer wanting to be careful about negative reviews. We are all different, we all have different preferencesā€¦some even like the DV888 :astonished: I can imagine the reviewers catching a lot of flack for posting a negative review about a yoyo they didnā€™t like, but, the community generally loves. It might not be worth dealing with the negative comments on youtube or seeing people post on this forum that your tricks are lame, you are a trash player, they donā€™t like the bookshelves or fence in the background of your videosā€¦ any part of it. The reviewers seem to be doing this because they like that aspect of yoyoing.

4 Likes

Evan Nagao should start doing jojo reviews

2 Likes

Hereā€™s some reviewers that i think do a great job at reviews.

Rowland Balcom - He is skilled, and does a good job commenting on the playability aspect of the yoyo. His reviews are very well structured

Josh Yee - He is very skilled. I get it, itā€™s not the most pleasant thing to look at, but he also does a great job describing how the yoyo plays, so much you can understand how the yoyo is even without trying. His commentary on the other aspects is average i would say. I wish he did reviews more often.

YoyoJoe - imo his reviews are a good example of the absolute minimum yoyo reviews should be, including words on the yoyos play feel and actual critiques. Some of his commentary may vary in quality from one video to another, but overall i trust his reviews.

Dylan Kowalski - Come on guys. What i like about his reviews is that his standards are realistically low. Dudeā€™s an old school player, used to play with old YYJs and FHZs, so itā€™s very funny to see how he likes almost every modern yoyo, since almost every modern yoyo is better that what he used to play with. Letā€™s face it. If Dylan doenā€™st like a yoyo, i would say thatā€™s actually a bad yoyo. Also, his durabilty tests on yoyos are hilarious.

5 Likes

Yeah, Dylan is amazing lol. Even the random non yoyo stuff that he reviews is really interesting. Heā€™s just really good at reviewing stuff.

4 Likes

Yoyo video reviews are useful only insofar as entertainment.
Oh and what happened to unpopular / popular yoyo opinionā€¦guess it was too unpopular :smiley:

wait wait wait wait wait, so Josh does reviews in the full furry getup? Thatā€¦ I did not know.

To be honest, I have never really understood furry culture, but I certainly donā€™t begrudge anyoneā€™s right to do their own thingā€¦

3 Likes

Here is the review I made for the YoYoRecreation Anomaly

1 Like

Yepā€¦I bro-love Dylan.

ā€¦wait, did I just say that out loud?

3 Likes

Itā€™s actually pretty entertaining to see a grown man in a fursuit reviewing yoyos properly lmao.

2 Likes

Josh is a great guy and a great player. Definitely anā€¦ interesting guy but I always respected how he sticks to his beliefs, he doesnā€™t waver just because other people may disagree and donā€™t like some of his views and opinions.

Similar to a certain someone we know on these forums :joy:

And yes I agree, I think he does really great reviews, also wish he did more

2 Likes