Are curved bearings worth getting?

How would that work? The outside diameter would get messed up, no? Don’t think I’ve seen them around at any rate… either not marketed heavily or just plain old not successful.

They used a smaller OD bearing than the std. “C” bearing. They were only sold as part of a specific model, never as a separate item. Here’s a pic. The sleeved kk is in the lower left. The upper left bearing is the same bearing w/out a sleeve. The letter designations are for their ordering system, not the usual yoyo bearing designations.

1 Like

There is no patent on the KK bearing it self, just the use of it.

1 Like

Yes. I specifically went out of my way to mention that:

“You still don’t see any 3rd-party bearings with the exact profile of the KK being sold as yoyo bearings.”

1 Like

The SR188Z u groove track bearings are all the same no matter who manufacturers them,
all 1/4 in. radius groove.

I really don’t understand you sometimes, John. I said “as a yoyo bearing”. Nobody else in the USA is selling an SR188Z u groove track bearing (since I neither knew nor cared about its technical name, I just called it a “bearing with the same profile as a KK”) “AS A YOYO BEARING” right now. You’re not adding anything to nor refuting what I said. Which leaves me awfully puzzled about what you’re trying to say.

What point are you trying to make?

1 Like

Up until recently, most all of the US manufacturers honored Mr. Difeyos patent, regardless of whether or not the bearing itself is patented. And coincidentally, some of those same companies now use his bearings in their product. For those that don’t, I’m sure they will be dully rewarded for their efforts.

If you don’t understand, it is not my problem.
Most every bearing manufacturers have making them for many years.

head shake

Yes, it is your problem. You are the one failing to understand the conversation. I even clarified why I was confused and you’re still not seeing it. It’s really strange to me that after such explicit clarification you’re failing to see that we’ve made THE SAME POINT and yet you’re talking to me as if you’re refuting something I said. It strikes me as a bit like this:

“This is pure water, with absolutely nothing else.”

“No. It is H2O, devoid of additional molecules.”

There’s not much more to say, really. You shouldn’t be adversarial towards someone unless you actually need to be. We agree that the bearing with the specs you rattled off (let’s call it “a KK bearing”) is not special and not invented by Difeo. They are plentiful and manufactured by various companies I’m sure. But can you name ONE other US-based company selling THAT kind of bearing explicitly as a “yoyo bearing” or including a generic version of it in their yoyo product without crediting Dif-e-Yo? Didn’t think so.

1 Like

As you are just a yoyo forum dweller it does not really matter to me what you think.

head shake and forehead smack Fine, John. You’re the one who has been slighted here. You didn’t start the whole conversation to begin with… Hope that (and the jab) makes you feel better. :slight_smile:

Rather odd marketing strategy.

1 Like

Anyone tried these gold concave bearings? They’re not the YYF CTs available. They’re made by NSK, not CBC, and concave rather than CT. Only found them on one Japanese site. Might order some. Also the ceramic Buddha Whipples for $10 look interesting.

Interesting indeed! I find Whipples are a bit less consistent than KK’s in quality (just from what I’ve experienced) but ordering a few extra is still cheaper than KK’s in general. Get a bum one or two and you’re still ahead… plus I really like that shape. I wonder if the ceramic ones are more reliable.

The one I still really want to try is the CTX. Haven’t had a chance yet. I like CT’s quite well, but 10-balls seem to be smoother and quieter in general, so I’d like to give one a go.

These gold KK’s are 8-ball. But original KK’s are, too, and they’re not exactly noisy.

I own that bearing. Smooth but I think Gold CTX is still better…

I tend to find 8-balls more reliable, i think, although the CTXs i’ve played are nice, the recent one in my Bonfire would not break in no matter how many hours i played it, silent, but slow and responsive. Had horrible luck with most other 10-balls, i think the tolerances must be less as they get noisy quick and easy, Trifecta, Whipple, OD 10’s, all have locked up or become unbearably loud on me. My only concern with the Whipple shape is that string bunching, which i don’t believe in, may actually become an issue because every layer is literally trying to slide to that very center area whereas the standard concave shape is a lot more gentle with room to move. I’ve had my best luck with bulk Chinese bearings, but so hard to judge what you’re getting on those direct-from-China sites when it comes to bearings.

• Nice *

This is the type of comment that keeps me from buying Terrapin bearings anymore. The arrogance and ignorance from the proprietor is simply stunning; both in scope and in the number of offenses.

There are too many other bearing choices that are as good or better. I see no need to give my money to someone who treats YYE customers this way.

1 Like

Hahaha oh man this killed me.

I almost exclusively use concave bearings. To me, they give the yoyo this little certain quality that no bearing can quite capture. Whereas the string on a flat bearing can be anywhere on the outer race, I know that on a concave bearing, that puppy is smack dab in the middle, offering more unresponsiveness and a bit more predictability. To that fact, I quite enjoy Crucial V2s, but I’m a cheap three-section staff and just buy a bunch of Chinese concaves and wade through the duds.

I am curious about this statement. What exactly are you saying; or implying?

If Mr. Difeyos has an unenforceable patent as evidenced by his “business agreement” to allow use by large manufacturers that have the resources to challenge and invalidate his patent; what “right” does Mr. Difeyos have to extort funds for yoyo players who do not have the resources to challenge his unenforceable patent. What “rewards” do those that dare to defy this accepted practice face

Depends on what bearings you get. Some are just stock track bearings.
Been around for way longer then bearings have been put in yoyos.