Another yoyo design by me.

Will you call the design crazy?

I think for visual impact as a display in a glass yoyo case; I would give that a very high mark. Simply because it looks Krazy!

But from a performance based viewpoint; I would not give it much of a mark at all.

I am not a yoyo Maker. I do not do CAD work. So I can honestly appreciate any CAD designs simply because you guys are doing something I cannot do.

But I still cut up yoyos as a hobby. And have been since the late 90’s. I have learned many things about yoyo performance.

I believe in performance 1st. Beauty is an excellent second feature. And if a yoyo is not only seriously good but looks seriously good; that is wonderful👌

But that design from a performance point of view; does not give me any feelings the design would be a ‘player’.

All those steps in the walls seem pointless beyond the visual aspect.

And as one or more of the guys have already pointed out; the ridges resulting from the steps are literally edges. Edges serve no purpose. Especially if you ano that design. Ano is thinnest on edges. Actually the ano wearing off on all those edges might make the yoyo look even nicer🤔

So the design looks good from a looks standpoint but not from a ‘hot rod’ standpoint.

Think of it this way… You have a 4 cylinder car. You put a cowl induction hood on it. You put a total ground effects kit on it. You tint the Windows. Put a custom exhaust on it. Put a awesome sound system in it. Throw in some recaro bucket seats.

The first night you take it out; you pull up to a stoplight and a primered 55 Chevy with stock rims and a 454 CU Rat motor pulls up next to you.

And even though your car looks pretty darn cool; it is still a four cylinder. And when the light turns green; nothing good is going to happen in your lane.

Your CAD potential is there… You just need to to focus more on performance factors if you are actually looking to turn one of your designs into an actual yoyo.

1 Like

You can call It the rule of cool.

Also makes me think of the IYYC Breathe. It’s a cool looking design but it didn’t play well.

Anyway, what coul I do to improve how the yoyo plays?

If you want to improve how the yoyo plays learn how about how weight affect different yoyos.
I would suggest getting a caliper and getting your hands on as much yoyos as you can and figure out where the thickness is and where the thinner parts are.
where the weight is on a yoyo can change everything. with my teh kauws i went for a string mid weight and balanced it off with rim and center weight. This allows the yoyo to spin strongly but even though its a larger yoyo and at 67 grams it still plays light and very agile.
Most yoyos go for a lot of rim weight and balance it off with center weight which can give them a heavier feeling while allowing them to have way stronger spin times and be more stable.
But your going to need to be able to know how that works and know the mathematics behind it. Yoyo CAD isnt about hit and miss till you get something good you need to be able to visualize the yoyo in numbers and figure out how to gage the weight in ratios of rim weight to center weight.
CAD is based off of mathematics not visual appearance. If you go buy visual appearance alone you are going to end up failing because your designs are going to look good, but are not going to play that well or have issues.
I just gave you the biggest tip that i was never given when i started off you just need to figure out how to use it to make your designs better.

The cross-section seems to show (who knows until it’s prototyped?) a very usable and modern weight distribution although the very large mass in the spike is an unknown for me. I totally agree that the ridges “do nothing” to change the play characteristics, but it still looks like it’ll play.

Round off the edges the minimum required amount to prevent string issues and hand comfort issues, and you can still leave those details just for the fun of it. If manufacturers didn’t take liberties with their ridges and curves, all yoyos would be variations on V and O, and it would get boring fast!

This I agree.
I think you shouldn’t put all the weight on the rim, It would be just another yoyo.
Shift the weight around, learn more about rim weight and center weight.

I hope you keep the spike and the ridges though, it definitely would make a unique throw.

Looks,cool but the thin walls,of the halves, might be a problem

I was actually planning on using 7075 or 7068.