Addressing ‘23 US Nationals Controversy

Addressing Controversy.

Finally ready to say something about US Nationals last month…

28 Likes

Thank you so much for explaining the state of 2a judging in America and providing evidence to show how weird the results historically have been. I’m new but watched the freestyles live and was totally surprised by the results. There is obviously a problem and hopefully your statement helps start a conversation about how to address the issue. It seems this conversation has happened before but without people voicing their disapproval, there is no way that change will happen.

I’m sorry to hear that your continued negative experiences with 2a judging have led you to retire and I wish you the best of luck at worlds!

The more I think about clicking, the more I realize what a terrible way to score a competition it is, off clicking is compounded and results don’t translate. If each of the competitors were to receive a single score for technical difficulty, trick density( number of tricks ), and trick variety, and then those score made the 60 points for the technical score, I believe we would get more accurate results. It was obvious to me as a noob that you were doing harder tricks, more frequently and had more variety. These are the metrics that clicks are supposed to measure and it’s weird that the click results didn’t show that.

11 Likes

Thank you for sharing this @Tricksyouforgot44! Your passion for yoyo reads through the entire essay. I definitely felt like your routine was the more impressive of the two. I know little about 2A and even less about how scoring actually works, but your explanation of the math behind some of the scoring helped me a lot. Definitely seems to be a need for change in judging, without any sort of easy way out. Hopefully things change in the future.

SUPER stoked to see all 3 of your Worlds routines :wink:

3 Likes

I know nothing of 2a and even I knew you got screwed. I think it’s refreshing to have someone stand up for themselves and in the community because it sounds like this has been going on for a long time now. Stoked you’re giving it one last go in Japan too, I think you’d regret it if you didn’t