Abby1371's yoyo element series tutorials

Enjoyed! Thanks.

Great! Glad to see the black outlined text worked like a charm, that’s all I think the other tutorial needed, so this vid was perfect. Now we sit back and wait for more 8)

yep! lots of cool ones coming but, it kinda depends on what i want to film that day sooooo… well see!

moar!!!
this months  :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Well done. Good execution and the breakdown was instructive.
Just one thing, please smile. ;D

yeah sorry, it was kinda bright that day and the sun was in my eyes… will do next time though!!!

bump! new video!!!

;D

Keep’em coming, Abby! Nice work so far.

thanks! recently bought a new video editor (as in yesterday) so the videos should be getting better, (in other words i should be able to do slow motion now.)

Sweeeeet!

Your videos are looking great abby1371! I don’t know what sort of camera you’re shooting this on, but one thing that could improve the string visibility would be increasing the shutter speed on your camera (to something like 1/120 instead of 1/60). Anyway, keep the videos coming!

Nice Job!!

thanks! and ill bump it up to 60 fps because that’s the highest my camera will go, it will just look a little bit grainy. I will happily to make the string more visible the new video editor should help with that.

Frame rate and shutter speed correlate but are not the same thing.

I’m sure somebody out on the internet has explained it better than I could, but suffice it to say: with a faster shutter speed but the exact same frame rate, each individual frame will have a crisper image of the string. When you hit “pause”, the single frame will have less blurring on it.

Now, it can go too far. That blur gives our brain a bit of a clue. Our own eyes have some of that blur, which you can confirm just by waving your hand in front of your face. If you go too far the opposite direction, you end up with the opposite intended effect-- really unrealistic-looking footage that’s hard to follow.

The general rule of thumb for 30fps or 24fps video is to approximately double the shutter speed to 1/60. I think you could go higher (1/80 or so) and still be fine. If you’re at 1/120 it might be a bit much. Certainly beyond that and you will “Freeze” each individual frame too much and get into that weird-looking zone.

For 60fps video the rule of thumb is probably a bit more flexible. As long as the shutter speed fits within each frame (ie. 1/60 or more) you’re probably still going to be fine. But since there are more frames for your brain to process, it’s inherently smoother to begin with and will rely on the “blur” a bit less. You can more safely go to 1/120 without it looking as weird as the 30fps video.

It will also depend on final output speed. If you are shooting 60fps but still render it to 30fps, you have to pick shutter speeds that match the 30fps… and if 30fps is the ultimate goal, you’re well served to shoot your slow-mo and your “normal speed” sections separately. :wink:

It’s all semi-complicated stuff, but not too bad if you put some study into it (as I still need to do… I botch this up, too).

1 Like

thanks for the clarification greg! didn’t know that!

Also: if you’re using a camera that doesn’t let you control shutter speed, the secret is just bright light. Always film in the brightest possible light (an overcast daytime shoot is the best) and the auto mode of the point-and-film camera will probably have a decent shutter speed.

Great job on the video! My constructive criticism: Try not to film in front of a window because the camera will try to set the exposure for outdoors making you dark. The text was blocking your hands and felt compelled to watch instead of read. Maybe add the text to a black screen the switch to the example? You did a nice job and I look forward to more vids.

For general video recordings, 1/120 is going to be a bit much, but from what I’ve seen, it makes yoyo videos a bit easier to follow. Yes, it’s more “choppy” looking, but I think it’s worth having a bit of extra clarity in the string.

I’m not saying you’re wrong, I just want to point out that it is a matter of taste, and there’s not really an exact “rule” to it. (That is, a rule to breaking the rule of shutter speed should equal 1/(FPSx2))

Here’s a video I shot that demonstrates “when things go wrong”–

It’s noticeable throughout, but especially in the last two sections. In the second-last section with the rocket behind me, the string constantly looks like there’s 3 at once. The lack of blur instead creates a “doubled” string effect. Then in the last one with the “vertical helix tower” thing… it was actually performed pretty smoothly, but it’s the blurring in real life that makes it look like a smooth double-helix. In the “artificial world” where the shutter speed was too high, it gets “frozen” (and probably doubled-looking; hard to say) and sort of just looks messy.

The main culprit was the high shutter speed. As I recall, though, it was also downmixed to 30fps from a 60fps recording.

This is the sort of thing you want to avoid. :wink:

Thanks for that example, it was quite helpful to see this in an actual video! You’re right; you definitely don’t want to go too high with the shutter speed :wink:

The way it looks like there are three strings at once would be caused by rendering a 60 fps recording in 30 fps. The renderer tries to combine adjacent frames in order to make it look more smooth, but it really just results in that strange triple string ghosting effect.

I’m going to film a test at some different shutter speeds tomorrow to get a clear idea of exactly what effect the shutter speed is having.